Oteil Sittin'

RatDog.Org Message Board
Buck
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Oteil Sittin'

Post by Buck » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:54 am

As some of you have seen, I’ve been sitting down for certain parts of the Dead & Co. shows this tour. After dealing with back pain for some time, I recently found out that I have a collapsed disc in my lower back. No need for surgery yet but my heavy bass guitar is causing some pretty serious back pain during our 3 hour shows. With physical therapy, I hope to be in a much better place with it soon, but not to worry, the music never stops!

photo:Katie Friesema

Jack O. Hartz
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Re: Oteil Sittin'

Post by Jack O. Hartz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:58 am

He should try switching to one of those funky upright basses that sit in a stand
We will understand it better bye and bye.

Intehdarkct110
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Intehdarkct110 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:22 pm

I totally understand how his back is feeling. My lower back is shot and so is my shoulder. After our last show, I got maybe 40% into the show and i was in such paid I started to freak out, it wouldnt go away and the harder I played the worse it got. Im having surgery to solve this, I hope he doesnt need surgery and the physical therapy is enough, but physical therapy caused more damage to my shoulder and back so ya gotta be careful.

thinman
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by thinman » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:29 pm

(((Oteil))) You better not start “walking kinda funny” bro!!

richblueyes
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by richblueyes » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:42 pm

The Summer tour Oteil looked in pain from somethin.
Showing signs he's better this run. Feel better and take care of that back Sir.
Sucks how much back pain can interfere with life.
(((((Oteil)))))
Inspiration move me brightly / Light my heart with sense and color /
Hold away despair / More than this I will not ask / Faced with mysteries dark and vast.............

weironourown2
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by weironourown2 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:35 pm

Like touring during a plague wasn't challenging enough.

Hope that he gets a top notch ortho to evaluate his condition - which should include a hard X-Ray, CT-Scan AND an MRI to rule out other stuff near there besides just a ruptured disk (e.g., fracture). Speaking from experience - got some hardware and cement holding my spine together.

I am truly grateful to be able to walk and even more grateful for all of the wonderful professionals who have dedicated their lives to helping others to heal. Posture matters! Everyone's experience is unique and what works for one might not work for another but there are many solutions out there.

Hopefully Oteil will be able to deal with this without surgery and heals quickly. But there is hope if things don't go smoothly. Just gotta look at it right.
better come quick with the iodine.