RIP Ronnie Tutt

RatDog.Org Message Board
hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

RIP Ronnie Tutt

Post by hockeygame3 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:27 am

Ronnie Tutt, drummer and original member of Elvis Presley’s TCB Band and the Jerry Garcia Band and a famed session musician who performed alongside Billy Joel, Buckingham Nicks and more, has died at the age of 83.

Elvis Presley Enterprises announced Tutt’s death Saturday, writing on the Graceland website, “All of us with Elvis Presley Enterprises were deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Ronnie Tutt. In addition to being a legendary drummer, he was a good friend to many of us here at Graceland.” No cause of death was provided.

“We enjoyed each time he joined us here to celebrate Elvis Week, Elvis’ Birthday and many other special occasions. Ronnie was an amazing ambassador to Elvis’ legacy – sharing his memories of working with Elvis with fans – as well as bringing Elvis’ music to arenas around the globe through later Elvis in Concert shows and performances.”

The Dallas-born drummer joined Presley’s famed TCB Band (short for Takin’ Care of Business) following the singer’s 1968 comeback special, with Tutt serving as drummer for Presley’s 1969 Las Vegas opening and his subsequent residencies; Tutt remained with the group through Presley’s death in 1977, and continued to perform with the TCB Band in the decades that followed.

Beginning the mid-Seventies — while still in the employ of Presley — Tutt became an in-demand touring and session drummer, spending two years in the first incarnation of the Jerry Garcia Band — including playing on heir 1978 debut LP Cats Under the Stars and Garcia’s solo albums Reflections and Run for the Roses, as well as the group’s live gigs

In a 2017 interview with Rolling Stone, Tutt talked about the differences between performing alongside Presley and Garcia, often in the same weekend.

“I’d always laugh because one night I’d be in Vegas playing with rhinestone two-piece outfits and the next night I’d be out with Garcia with the tie-dye and a pair of jeans. Socially speaking it was really different,” Tutt said

“Elvis’ music was a lot more in your face; you could never play enough. But with Jerry we never talked about it, but I just knew my role with that band, no matter what configuration it was, was to help keep it together.”

Tutt also notably toured with Neil Diamond and played drums on a pair of Billy Joel albums — 1973’s The Piano Man and 1974’s Streetlife Serenade — appearing on the hits “Piano Man,” “The Ballad of Billy the Kid” and “The Entertainer.” Other credits include playing on the lone Buckingham Nicks album in 1973, Gram Parsons’ GP and Grievous Angel, Elvis Costello’s King of America and Johnny Cash’s John R Cash.

In Rolling Stone’s 2017 interview, Tutt reflected on a career that spanned over 60 years. “I just remember the good things, that’s for sure. You got to,” he said. “I just remember laughing a lot and having a good time musically, so I have nothing but good memories.”

Jack O. Hartz
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Re: RIP Ronnie Tutt

Post by Jack O. Hartz » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:50 am

RIP. Best drummer JGB ever had.
We will understand it better bye and bye.

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:22 am

Jack O. Hartz wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:50 am
RIP. Best drummer JGB ever had.
Kemper was pretty good

caseyjonesed
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by caseyjonesed » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:41 am

like Donna Jean, Tutt played with the two most legendary rock figures in history,
Elvis and Jerry. it's difficult to comprehend that. ELVIS AND JERRY! :whoa :whoa :whoa

and no one kept the beat better.

Thanks Ron! :clap :clap :clap

Dad
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Dad » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:42 am

I enjoyed his playing immensely - he did keep the music together thru those early line ups

Beyond Description
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Beyond Description » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:46 pm

RIP Ron

KEZHEAD
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by KEZHEAD » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:01 pm

Sleep in the stars (((Ron)))
Dodging lions and a-wasting time
In memory of ChiefScott

richblueyes
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by richblueyes » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:46 pm

RIP Ron

some music and a bit more about the Man......
https://www.jambase.com/article/drummer ... rcia-death
Inspiration move me brightly / Light my heart with sense and color /
Hold away despair / More than this I will not ask / Faced with mysteries dark and vast.............

For Sure
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by For Sure » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:13 pm

That guy must have seen some serious shit playing with Elvis and Jerry. A life well lived

rdiberna
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by rdiberna » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:45 pm

What an amazing career.... Ty Mr Tutt... Enjoy that Jam of all Jams in the sky

danM
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by danM » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:22 pm

Did Ron ever write a book? My God, the stories he could tell.
9/14 Yarn
10/18 Yarn
10/31 Dead& Co
11/1&2 RRE
11/29&30 RRE
12/1 Joan,Jackie,Anders do Dylan
12/20&21 From Good Homes

EProphet
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by EProphet » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:16 am