Garcia Live Vol 17

RatDog.Org Message Board
Steve O
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Garcia Live Vol 17

Post by Steve O » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:21 pm

I received my copy earlier this week and finally I have listened to the entire 3 discs. This one has more fantastic music from this great band with Garcia on lead Vocals and lead Guitar, Keith Godchaux - Keyboards, Donna Jean Godchaux - Vocals, John Kahn - Bass and The Great Ron Tutt on Drums. On this release this pretty much is the best of the 3 nights of fabulous Jerry shows captured within 1 week in No California in 1976 due to the fact that the original tape reels were damaged so the tracks were selected from the useable portion of the Reels. The 10 page booklet has some good linear notes from the one and only Steve Parish and some really cool photos. It also has a repro of a poster advertising the show and a track list.
Disc 1 has a really great 13 & 1/2 minute Sugaree, a beautiful T.L.E.O. a fun Catfish John and it ends with a rousing version of Midnight Moonlight!
Disc 2 opens up w/a beautiful version of "How Sweet It Is" can hear all the instruments in the mix so clearly, It also features tunes like F.O.T.D. Russian Lullaby, Tore Up Over You, and closes with a hauntingly beautiful I'll Take a Melody.
Disc 3 has some really good stuff like After Midnight, Stir It Up, Mystery Train, The Way You Do The Things You Do and finishes with a fantastic Version of "Mighty High" (Which has an unknown Date and Place Of Recording (interesting) Yes, we've all heard a number of these songs before, but similar to the Dead, each version is a little bit different. Garcia lets out some long, spiraling, sparkling solos ("After Midnight" is a good example) and Godchaux's piano is a perfect fit for the music. His wife's vocals are far from the screeching we've heard on other releases--sounding as laid back as I've ever heard her sing.
This Release has a really nice set of tunes performed by Garcia's best band outside of the Grateful Dead. While listening to these tracks you can hear the fun interplay and banter the band had on stage throughout the 3 nights. This release has a nice look at 3 shows which we as fans will never probably hear the complete shows but at least what we have here is a very nice piece of audio history! Enjoy! Steve O ! \:D/

bones
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Re: Garcia Live Vol 17

Post by bones » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:59 am

I enjoyed disc 3 the most :listen
"gleeful amphetamine drip"

7/2 Warren
7/30 & 31 JGB NH
8/22 JRAD Boston
9/2 Deadco Mansfield
11/27 Neighbor Concord