1-10-79 Nassau Colliseum

RatDog.Org Message Board
futureman
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

1-10-79 Nassau Colliseum

Post by futureman » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:47 pm

The Grateful Dead revive “Dark Star” at The Nassau Coliseum, on this day in 1979.
The Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, also known simply as the Nassau Coliseum, was one of those hotspots for the Grateful Dead throughout their 30-year long, strange trip. The Long Island venue played host to 42 Dead shows between 1973-1994. The band played so well at the venue in fact, that four of their performances from over the years would go on to be released as three separate archival album releases from shows in 1980, 1981, and 1990. One of the other stand-out performances at the Long Island area included a scorcher from January 10th, 1979, which celebrates its 43rd anniversary today.
The show was the first of a two-night run and saw The Dead incorporate a handful of new material from their then-recently released studio album, Shakedown Street, which had arrived just a few months prior in November 1978. The show opened with “The Promised Land” and never looked back. The band charged through a first set which included a handful of John Perry Barlow and Bob Weir classics including “Mexicali Blues”, “Looks Like Rain”, and “The Music Never Stopped”.
The equally-thrilling second set began with “Shakedown Street” and continued into a trio of dance-friendly tunes including “I Need a Miracle”, “Bertha”, and “Good Lovin'”. From there, the show took an exciting turn as they busted out their first East Coast performance of “Dark Star” in more than four years. Following the “Drums” portion of the set, the band returned to the stage to close out the show with “Wharf Rat”, “St. Stephen” (it’s last performance until 1983) and “Around and Around”, followed by a one-song encore of “Johnny B. Goode”. (By Dave Melamed).
Fans who couldn’t snag a ticket to the show for one reason or another can revisit the performance by tuning into the fan-taped audio of the show below.
The Future is here, We are it, We are on our own.

njbreadman911
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Re: 1-10-79 Nassau Colliseum

Post by njbreadman911 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:35 pm

Good Lovin both nights a Nassau the 10th and 11th and MSG on the 8th and 9th?? wierd

futureman
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by futureman » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:46 pm

njbreadman911 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:35 pm
Good Lovin both nights a Nassau the 10th and 11th and MSG on the 8th and 9th?? wierd
Promoting the new album :-k
The Future is here, We are it, We are on our own.

DrivinThatTrain
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by DrivinThatTrain » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:52 pm

Missed this show by 1 night- went the next night which was also a good show!

Too bad the band didn’t record on the 10th - grate show!
"It takes a heap of homing to make a pigeon-toed" ~ 10/31/79~Nassau Col.

"What's the difference between a duck? One leg's both the same" ~ 10/31/79

rdiberna
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by rdiberna » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:50 pm

This was the greatest show!! that I ever attended!! Maybe..... :D :D :D

bones
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by bones » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:57 pm

I missed Keith & Donna by those few months...last winter show may have been new haven late Jan?

My 1st show was Billerica ma 5/11/79
"gleeful amphetamine drip"

7/2 Warren
7/30 & 31 JGB NH
8/22 JRAD Boston
9/2 Deadco Mansfield
11/27 Neighbor Concord
1/8 Neighbor - Soundchevk Studios
1/22 Gilmore Project Tupelo

Dad
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Dad » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:54 am

Hitchhiked down to the Spectrum, back up to the city for both the MSG shows and then out to Nassau. We knew they had played Dark Star the previous week and were stoked to hear it again after a few years of it being on the shelf.

Fully dosed, my buddy and I were walking around the outer concourse at set break stretching our legs. Couple of heads were knocking on a glass door looking sad and eager, so Leo just hangs a left and opens the door for them. Security guy steps in right behind him and pushes him out and pulls the door shut.

I’ll never forget the look on his face when he realized what happened. We did catch the next Dark Star at Sheas Theatre a few shows later but that one was more of a glorified space to me.

The 1/10/79 version was the last really good Dark Star that I caught as it was fully developed - they took their time with it. The later versions I saw were never the same.

This was also the last time Dark Star and St Stephen were played in the same show.

And I remember(?) this being a cold fucking tour on the side of the road heading to the next town

rdiberna
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by rdiberna » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:59 am

1/10/79 was the climax for me. I had the pleasure of seeing this show from so close, I think we were 4 rows deep right side of the floor. That second set was such an out of body experience, just heavenly!! Dew from W & M in april the year before was a very close second. This set2 was sick!! lots of broken strings :). We were originally in the back of the shed for the first set, which could seem like miles away sometimes. Fully dosed, me & my buddy were walking around the outer concourse, when 2 attractive overdressed ( out of place ) young ladies asked us if we wanted their ticket stubs. Not wanting to be rude I said yes, being 19 I would never pass up an opportunity to converse with the ladies. When me & my buddy finally took a look at the tix much to our surprise we would not be needing a mission to get closer to the action for the second set , we now had 2 4th row ticket stubs in hand. That's how I remember it anyway ..lol. I don't think those girls would have even known what they had missed.

For Sure
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by For Sure » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:33 pm

Dad wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:54 am
Hitchhiked down to the Spectrum, back up to the city for both the MSG shows and then out to Nassau. We knew they had played Dark Star the previous week and were stoked to hear it again after a few years of it being on the shelf.

Fully dosed, my buddy and I were walking around the outer concourse at set break stretching our legs. Couple of heads were knocking on a glass door looking sad and eager, so Leo just hangs a left and opens the door for them. Security guy steps in right behind him and pushes him out and pulls the door shut.

I’ll never forget the look on his face when he realized what happened. We did catch the next Dark Star at Sheas Theatre a few shows later but that one was more of a glorified space to me.

The 1/10/79 version was the last really good Dark Star that I caught as it was fully developed - they took their time with it. The later versions I saw were never the same.

This was also the last time Dark Star and St Stephen were played in the same show.

And I remember(?) this being a cold fucking tour on the side of the road heading to the next town

I’ve been on that side of the equation for such a deal, not for a show like that. You sure did a lot of hitchhiking :D you must of know a ton of folks on the road at that point. Were you fond of thumbing or just out of necessity? Great stories btw

dave570
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by dave570 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:36 pm

I went to this show too. I had requested the band to play Dark Star on Jan 9 at their press conference at their Manhattan hotel. Jerry said they didn't take requests lol. I drove to the show from the Bronx where I was living and I didn't dose because I was the designated driver. My friends who went with me laughed at me when I told when what I had asked the band to play. After the show ended, my friends all ate crow and thanked me a lot. As they were playing that amazing second set, I thought to myself "Well, at least I will remember it more than if I was dosed". I knew that I would not have been able to drive us home afterwards. Someone else drove the next night and I had heavily dosed. Oy!
Phish - Dec 28, 30 MSG