Buck
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

RIP Jeff Beck

Post by Buck » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:13 pm

RIP :(

On behalf of his family, it is with deep and profound sadness that we share
the news of Jeff Beck’s passing.
After suddenly contracting bacterial meningitis, he peacefully passed away yesterday.
His family ask for privacy while they process this tremendous loss.

http://www.jeffbeck.com/1944-2023/?utm_ ... ffbeck.com

Lhmwrench
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Re: RIP Jeff Beck

Post by Lhmwrench » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:24 pm

And another one's gone. Saw the BMH stop in '76...

https://youtu.be/7UjJwjGtyvo

"...I don't know
Maybe it was the doses..."

https://www.tengolddollars.com

danM
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by danM » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:56 pm

Enjoy every sandwich
Thx for always shreadin Jeff.
9/14 Yarn
10/18 Yarn
10/31 Dead& Co
11/1&2 RRE
11/29&30 RRE
12/1 Joan,Jackie,Anders do Dylan
12/20&21 From Good Homes

hoffmanmr
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hoffmanmr » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:15 pm

I've been lucky to have seen a number of truly great guitarists over the years, but I could only think of two that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up or where I actually caught myself holding my breath. Jeff Beck was one. And it wasn't in a moment where he was being flashy. He certainly could (and did) do that. It was in one of those beautiful quiet moments. Just incredibly soulful.
Last edited by hoffmanmr on Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KEZHEAD
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by KEZHEAD » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:36 pm

((((R.I.P. Jeff))))
Dodging lions and a-wasting time
In memory of ChiefScott

Jack O. Hartz
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Jack O. Hartz » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:48 pm

The only guitarist I respect more than Jerry. I saw the BBA tour. I saw Blow by Blow and Wired. I am blessed.
We will understand it better bye and bye.

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:57 pm

:shock:

:cry:

Unbroken
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Unbroken » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:36 pm

Fuckin sucks man and this caught us off guard likely. Enjoy every sandwich no doubt.
"A lovely view of heaven"

wonderhide
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by wonderhide » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:38 pm

I'm glad that he and Bobby and Phil played/are playing right to the end

For Sure
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by For Sure » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:40 pm

bacterial meningitis? Crazy Really sucks. They just keep coming. Guess it’s inevitable at the age.

FaceOnMars
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by FaceOnMars » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:49 pm

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

~ John Adams

EProphet
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by EProphet » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:50 pm

RIP Jeff Beck

Dad
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Dad » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:57 pm

Just saw this - Yipes!

Seemed like a healthy and cool guy that had no issue stepping out of the spotlight

I also caught Blow by Blow and Wired, but what made me really see what he could do was the ARMS concert in NYC. Clapton’s all star band played an awesome set, then Beck and the Jan Hammer Group came on and fucking owned the stage. Jimmy Page came on and we all wanted Beck to come back out and fill Paige’s time slot

When Paige, Beck and Clapton came on for the encore - Beck rose above.

Rest in peace Mr Beck and thanks for the soundtrack to so many nights in the 70s

Damn

Dad
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Dad » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:58 pm

Oops

mossismyrice
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by mossismyrice » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:07 pm

pennsylvaniapete
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:01 pm

Damn
Never saw him and always wanted to
The Deadheads gather at the rim of the volcano to dance and sing joyful songs in honor of their fallen hero.

Lhmwrench
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Lhmwrench » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:31 am

RIP Jeff Beck

"I’m devastated. People ask me a lot “who’s your favorite living guitarist?” and the answer would always have to be Jeff Beck. So much so that I’ve always made a point of being careful not to listen to him too much for fear of wanting to imitate him. I was lucky, thanks to my older brothers, to have discovered Beck at a very early age, even before I started playing guitar. He was ferocious — not just inventive but totally unique. Nobody played like that. I loved everything he did. All the “guitar heroes” back then were thrust into recording at an early age so we could hear tremendous growth in a lot of cases from album to album, year to year, but with Jeff Beck even more so. Every time he released something new we all waited with anticipation to hear what new direction or directions he would take. It was uncanny. He seemed to not want to define himself with what he had already done so each new venture just added to an already broad scope of not only “influences" but also the uniqueness that was there from the start. No matter what direction he chose he approached it in a way that only he could. As someone who started singing before I started playing guitar I always loved the vocalists that he worked with in addition to the great musicians so I was a bit surprised, as were a lot of people, when Jeff released Blow By Blow in 1975 which turned out to be his first all instrumental album. It came at a good time for me as I had been playing guitar for 3 or 4 years at that point and was just starting to discover a lot of instrumental music but none of us were prepared for the huge stylistic leap we were about to hear in Jeff’s playing. His last studio recording prior was the collaborative Beck, Bogert & Appice which was great like all his previous works but gave no indication as to what doors would be opened up with Blow By Blow. Every guitar player I knew was mesmerized. This changed everything. We were all dropping back the needle incessantly to try to learn anything we could from Blow By Blow. And then along comes Wired, a year later, which took his playing to even greater heights. I think the most remarkable thing about Jeff Beck as a guitarist however is the way he continued to grow and expand his own style year after year, album after album, in a way that I can’t recall anyone else ever doing — EVER! He didn’t record or tour nearly as much for quite a while after the release of Wired but every time he did there was some new chapter that came with the new music. Thankfully in recent years he appeared to have been on a mission and was incredibly prolific. But again the most amazing thing was his playing that somehow continued to get better. I saw him perform quite a few times over the last fifteen years or so and I have to say that every time he played even better than the time before. I’ve never seen anything like it. Jeff Beck changed music in a very profound way but unless you’re a guitar player you may not understand. He changed our lives. He created a style of playing that was instantly recognizable and almost impossible to replicate. I made the decision a long time ago not to try to copy him — what’s the point? Any of us would only wind up sounding like a bad Jeff Beck imitator. For over fifty years however I have studied him and learned from him and a large part of my style and vocabulary came from him. So, now when someone asks me “Who’s your favorite guitarist — living or dead?” I will say what I always say: “I can’t answer that.” But my very short list will include Jeff. There will never be another Jeff Beck." Warren Haynes
"...I don't know
Maybe it was the doses..."

https://www.tengolddollars.com

el_pablo65
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by el_pablo65 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:10 am

Easily the best concert I ever got to see if only for the 12+ hour length. But there were some fantastic players there too. RIP JB
Rock my Soul

Jack O. Hartz
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Jack O. Hartz » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:05 am

Tal was a fantastic bass player for Beck, but she wasn't with him the last time I saw him, it was some other gal who was also pretty darn good.
We will understand it better bye and bye.

deputy
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by deputy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:31 pm

One of the great shows we saw was the August 1976 Astor Theater show in Reading Pennsylvania. Great room. This was when the Live album with the Jan Hammer group was recorded. It was a crazy good night of music as you would expect.

Small theater, 2000 people and it was ripping from the very first licks of Freeway Jam.