Wolf Bros pre-Tour gigs?

RatDog.Org Message Board
mossismyrice
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Wolf Bros pre-Tour gigs?

Post by mossismyrice » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:44 am

Might there be any west coast warmup gigs for Wolf Bros before they kick off their tour?

Intehdarkct110
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Re: Wolf Bros pre-Tour gigs?

Post by Intehdarkct110 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:14 am

Is Kimock around ?
"Wont ya try just a little bit harder"

For Sure
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by For Sure » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:04 pm

I hope so given I’m catching the first show on the tour. Practice is good. The difference between night one Mexico and night 3 was huge for Dead & Co

Intehdarkct110
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Intehdarkct110 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:19 pm

^ Yes it was.
"Wont ya try just a little bit harder"

thinman
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by thinman » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:31 pm

I doubt they do any warm-up gigs. The difference between Wolf Bros and DeadCo is that WB are an actual band. They are working on arrangements and they tour twice a year it seems. They just toured the west coast. The players are engaged and it shows in the music.

DeadCo, on the other hand, is a super group. Mayer flies into Mexico the day before the gig on his private jet. Mickey and Billy haven’t seen a drum kit since the last summer show, etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t even get together to write a setlist. Aren’t setlists put together by Bobby’s tech guy?

Bobby, Jeff, and Oteil are the only ones constantly on the road playing music.

DeadCo do not rehearse. This is known. The first 2-3 shows of a tour are the rehearsals. For the amount of $$ they are charging, they can at least show a little more effort. The gimmick to sell tickets for this summer’s tour is that it is the Final tour. I doubt they bust out any tunes they haven’t played already.

weironourown2
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by weironourown2 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:34 pm

pre-tour gigs appear to have been the PITS gigs. Really hoping to get to the first show of the tour - cause while typically it is musically rough at times, the joy of the audience's anticipation of hearing this music sort of balances it out - ymmv.

Rainy_Day_Roscoe
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Rainy_Day_Roscoe » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:26 pm

Aren’t setlists put together by Bobby’s tech guy?
Do you think Bobby's tech guy was like" let's do a Sugar Mag / Sunshine Daydream sandwich for Mexico" then tells Oteil he is singing or not based on the song s/he has chosen? Maybe I guess :)

hoffmanmr
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hoffmanmr » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:56 pm

thinman wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:31 pm
DeadCo do not rehearse. This is known.
Really? I seem to recall D&C posting rehearsal pictures for practically every tour they've done. And being a "super group" and a band are not mutually exclusive.

thinman
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by thinman » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:39 pm

hoffmanmr wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:56 pm
thinman wrote:
Really? I seem to recall D&C posting rehearsal pictures for practically every tour they've done. And being a "super group" and a band are not mutually exclusive.
Some of the “rehearsals” they’ve posted in the past were simply that they came in a little early and rehearsed a bit in the city where the tour was set to begin. The day of or day before the gig.

Rarely have we seen them in the studio going over music. Maybe in the first few years.

In the 8 years they’ve been together I think they’ve changed the official band promo photo 2-3 times.

thinman
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by thinman » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:54 pm

Rainy_Day_Roscoe wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:26 pm
Aren’t setlists put together by Bobby’s tech guy?
Do you think Bobby's tech guy was like" let's do a Sugar Mag / Sunshine Daydream sandwich for Mexico" then tells Oteil he is singing or not based on the song s/he has chosen? Maybe I guess :)
While this is quoted for a Wolf Bros story, I’ll bet Matt Busch also plays a role in crafting DeadCo set lists, where the catalog is a lot less than Wolf Bros…

https://www.gq.com/story/bob-weir-grateful-dead-profile

Weir would like Wolf Bros to reach that level of synergy, but for now its set lists are put together by a worried-looking man named Matt Busch, who is one of Weir's managers and whom Weir extensively trained for this purpose.

The day before each show, Busch sits down in front of three spreadsheets: one a master list of all the songs the band knows, another showing recent set lists, and a third that breaks the songs down by lyrics, musical keys, beats per minute, and other factors. Among the innumerable considerations he then needs to keep in mind: no repeated songs within three shows; songs that belong in specific slots—opener, first set, encores, etc.; lyrics that name-check the city they happen to be in. Each set list takes Busch between four and six hours to put together. It is not lost on Busch that Deadheads pore over set lists with the intensity usually reserved for Talmudic texts.

hoffmanmr
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hoffmanmr » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:34 pm

thinman wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:39 pm
hoffmanmr wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:56 pm
thinman wrote:
Some of the “rehearsals” they’ve posted in the past were simply that they came in a little early and rehearsed a bit in the city where the tour was set to begin. The day of or day before the gig.

Rarely have we seen them in the studio going over music. Maybe in the first few years.

In the 8 years they’ve been together I think they’ve changed the official band promo photo 2-3 times.
Bullshit. I've seen lots of photos from rehearsals that were posted well before a tour started.

Rainy_Day_Roscoe
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Rainy_Day_Roscoe » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:05 pm

While this is quoted for a Wolf Bros story, I’ll bet Matt Busch also plays a role in crafting DeadCo set lists, where the catalog is a lot less than Wolf Bros…
#-o doh. I feel dumb

Sorry about that. My bad.

caseyjonesed
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by caseyjonesed » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:00 pm

Dead & Company set lists are repetitive. They do stumble across a good one
on occasion, but the music isn't exactly flowing. Their problem the last 2 years has
been the SLOW pace.

Wolf Bros & Pack the music is flowing. Pace is on the $$$.

hoffmanmr
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hoffmanmr » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:15 pm

caseyjonesed wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:00 pm
Dead & Company set lists are repetitive. They do stumble across a good one
on occasion, but the music isn't exactly flowing. Their problem the last 2 years has
been the SLOW pace.

Wolf Bros & Pack the music is flowing. Pace is on the $$$.
I certainly agree that D&C tempos are slow, but I certainly hear a lot of flowing in their playing. Also, I don't think their setlists are all that more or less repetitive than Wolf Bros. Or GD for that matter.