Rest in Peace Judd Golden

The Rastadog vibration is positive
Chez
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Rest in Peace Judd Golden

Post by Chez » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:17 pm

I don't know how much Judd posted here, if he did at all, but I'm sure some folks here (especially the former Tooboarders) knew him, so I want to pass this along.

Judd passed away yesterday in a car accident. It seems a woman intent on committing suicide hit his van head-on, killing Judd.

No other details at this point.

Sleep in the stars, friend.

"Being anti-racist is not political, it is being a decent human being."

richblueyes
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Re: Rest in Peace Judd Golden

Post by richblueyes » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:21 pm

RIP
Inspiration move me brightly / Light my heart with sense and color /
Hold away despair / More than this I will not ask / Faced with mysteries dark and vast.............

Hedges
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Hedges » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:44 pm

How horribly sad 🙁
2020 ~ I got a rock ...

tombo
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by tombo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:26 pm

I heard this sad news this morning. Judd was an incredible human being - for 20 years he led the Colorado chapter of the ACLU. He was instrumental in Colorado's decriminalization and ultimate legalization of cannabis. Judd LOVED people, and when he mixed friends and music, his bliss just radiated beautifully into the cosmos.

I was lucky to know another side of Judd as well. To the surprise of some, he was a very good golfer, who had grown up around the game. We enjoyed a brotherhood of competing on the links as kind of barbarians inside the gates. His game always seemed to rise to the occasion against me, and he relieved of several dollars over the years.

There were few greater moments than walking into a music venue and seeing Judd's smiling face surveying the scene. His intelligence, compassion, willingness to work for his beliefs, humor and genuine, unflinching optimism - not the kind that just pretends everything is a-ok but the kind that wholly trusted the beauty of the universe even when things were all f-ed up - have long inspired me as I seek to further cultivate those qualities in my own life. I will honor his memory by doubling down on those commitments.

It's hard to feel this as anything but a devastating loss right now. But if I could walk a fairway or sidle up to a bar with Judd to talk about a loss like this, I know that our conversation would lead toward gratitude and toward faith that the pain of losing fades while the joy of memory only grows over time.

Journey on, my friend. Mission accomplished.

TwoRiver
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by TwoRiver » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:25 pm

So very sorry to hear this. I met Judd while in Colorado years ago and what a fantastic guy. Thoughts and prayers to all that knew him.

KEZHEAD
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by KEZHEAD » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:40 pm

I did not know him
I’m so very sorry for your loss tombo! :(
Dodging lions and a-wasting time
In memory of ChiefScott

Dad
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Dad » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:56 pm

Judd was a solid guy and one of the nicer people you could meet. Seems to not fit. How I man so full of sincere kindness would be taken in such a way. Judd would have been the first person to do everything in his power to help the troubled soul that took him away.

My thoughts go to his wife. He retired not too long ago - wish he could have enjoyed that next phase.

And like Tombo mentioned already, he was a key driver behind the efforts to decriminalize weed in Colorado. Please take a moment to smile and raise one to Judd.

He’d smile at that

EProphet
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by EProphet » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:50 pm

RIP Judd

redial2
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by redial2 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:46 am

Very sad to hear, may be rest in peace.
Let it be known: there is a fountain, that was not made by the hands of men.
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night.
And if you go, no one may follow; that path is for your steps alone.
-RH

~me
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by ~me » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Beautiful words, Tombo. Thank you. Every time I try to write something about Judd I trip over my thoughts and get lost. He was always there, you just knew if you were going to a show in Colorado, you were going to hang out with Judd at some point. He was going to greet you with his huge smile and a great hug. He was a constant...always welcoming, always glad to see you, always excited about what was happening...always Judd.

Judd was heading home to bowl with his buddies after a roadtrip seeing music with friends...and I am deeply struck by the irony that someone who loved life so much ~who had so much to live for ~who continually shared his joy of living with others...was taken out by someone who felt she no longer wanted to live...and she is still here. But Sugar wrote these beautiful words~ so I am trying to let go of the anger...and follow her heart...and Judd`s~
sugarmama wrote:I have a request and it might feel jarring or uncomfortable for some, particularly those close to Judd. I know we are angry, confused, shocked, hurting, and again, angry. I ask that you look within and find an opening in your heart - to find compassion for the woman involved and at fault for this tragedy. She clearly was suffering - her suffering will be so much more now - she was not successful in her attempt to take her own life and instead she took another life. I cannot imagine the suffering she will continue to experience. Perhaps you can find a way to soften some of the hurt and anger into love and compassion and send it to her. I cannot speak for Judd, but I can speak to the depth and breadth of his light and his heart and I believe he would send his light her way despite the circumstances. So with a heavy heart, I send my love to this woman and hope she may find her way through this and find peace.  
~Remember to take care of one another~

~No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead.~

tombo
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by tombo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:48 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with Sugar's wise words...WITH a caveat. It is imperative that we practice compassion and forgiveness in this and all other situations. However, the woman acted with complete and total disregard for another's life, and for this, she must be given much time in an environment where she will be able to contemplate her actions and seek her peace outside of a society subject to her lack of control and respect.

I hope with all my heart and soul that she receives the light that Sugar urges us to send. But I believe that actions have consequences, and she must pay them now.

Chez
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Chez » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:14 am

"Being anti-racist is not political, it is being a decent human being."

terrapin710
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by terrapin710 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 pm

...nevah know ~ R.I.P.ple brother
Celebrate his life ♡
Spread love and kyndness
"Love what you do and do what you love...
...imagination should be the center of your life."

FaceOnMars
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by FaceOnMars » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:33 am

Peace and love to all involved or affected in this tragedy.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

~ John Adams

~me
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by ~me » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:36 am

https://blog.norml.org/2020/01/30/in-me ... Tv2T329Nhs
  • In Memory of Judd Golden
    by NORML
    January 30, 2020

Respected Lawyer, Tireless Advocate and Dear Friend.

With sorrow, we share the news of the tragic and unexpected passing of Judd Golden. Judd was a tireless fighter in defense of the constitution. A staunch advocate for marijuana rights. A lifetime champion of civil rights. A friend.

If you’ve attended a live music event in Colorado, chances are you danced next to Judd. He was a music lover, an attorney who devoted his life to defending our civil liberties, and a kind soul who never failed to have a welcoming smile on his face.

A former Colorado NORML Board Member and head of the Boulder ACLU Chapter, Judd was recognized for his work as a cooperating attorney in CU v. Derdeyn, which found that random drug testing of student-athletes was unconstitutional.

We will remember him as a staunch defender of civil liberties, human rights, and freedom. We in the cannabis communities will also remember his passion, advocacy, and dedication to marijuana reform.

“Judd Golden was a long-time personal friend and NORML activist who headed the NORML efforts in Iowa back in the 1970s, and who continued his support for legalization in recent years in Colorado. He was a bright and committed individual who also worked with ACLU and who cared deeply about civil liberties, and he will be missed. May he rest in peace,” said NORML Founder Keith Stroup.

May his spirit rest in the hearts of those who love him and those who defend freedom.
~Remember to take care of one another~

~No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead.~

danM
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by danM » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:42 pm

Happy trails Judd. Never met ya but certainly wish I had.
9/14 Yarn
10/18 Yarn
10/31 Dead& Co
11/1&2 RRE
11/29&30 RRE
12/1 Joan,Jackie,Anders do Dylan
12/20&21 From Good Homes

Beyond Description
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Beyond Description » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:58 pm

Wow. Obviously a beautiful person. Sorry for your loss. Just reading about him makes me want to change my ways of thinking.