From COVID 19. Sucks.

KC.Jones
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Re: RIP John Prine

Post by KC.Jones » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:44 pm

((RIP))

NY Times Obit:
John Prine, the raspy-voiced country-folk singer whose ingenious lyrics to songs by turns poignant, angry and comic made him a favorite of Bob Dylan, Kris Kristofferson and others, died Tuesday at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tenn. He was 73.

The cause was complications from Covid-19, his family said.

Mr. Prine underwent cancer surgery in 1998 to remove a tumor in his neck identified as squamous cell cancer, which had damaged his vocal cords. In 2013, he had part of one lung removed to treat lung cancer.

Mr. Prine was a relative unknown in 1970 when Mr. Kristofferson heard him play one night at a small Chicago club called the Fifth Peg, dragged there by the singer-songwriter Steve Goodman. Mr. Kristofferson was performing in Chicago at the time at the Quiet Knight. At the Fifth Peg, Mr. Prine treated him to a brief after-hours performance of material that, Mr. Kristofferson later wrote, “was unlike anything I’d heard before.”

A few weeks later, when Mr. Prine was in New York, Mr. Kristofferson invited him onstage at the Bitter End in Greenwich Village, where he was appearing with Carly Simon, and introduced him to the audience.

“No way somebody this young can be writing so heavy,” he said. “John Prine is so good, we may have to break his thumbs.”

The record executive Jerry Wexler, who was in the audience, signed Mr. Prine to a contract with Atlantic Records the next day.

Music writers at the time were eager to crown a successor to Mr. Dylan, and Mr. Prine, with his nasal, sandpapery voice and literate way with a song, came ready to order. His debut album, called simply “John Prine” and released in 1971, included songs that became his signatures. Some gained wider fame after being recorded by other artists.

They included “Sam Stone,” about a drug-addicted war veteran (with the unforgettable refrain “There’s a hole in Daddy’s arm where all the money goes”); “Hello in There,” a heart-rending evocation of old age and loneliness; and “Angel From Montgomery,” the hard-luck lament of a middle-aged woman dreaming about a better life, later made famous by Bonnie Raitt.

“He’s a true folk singer in the best folk tradition, cutting right to the heart of things, as pure and simple as rain,” Ms. Raitt told Rolling Stone in 1992.

Mr. Dylan, listing his favorite songwriters for The Huffington Post in 2009, put Mr. Prine front and center. “Prine’s stuff is pure Proustian existentialism,” he said. “Midwestern mind trips to the nth degree. And he writes beautiful songs.”

John Prine was born on Oct. 10, 1946, in Maywood, Ill., a working-class suburb of Chicago, to William and Verna (Hamm) Prine. His father, a tool-and-die maker at the American Can Company, and his mother had moved from the coal town of Paradise, Ky., in the 1930s.

Mr. Prine later wrote a ruefully bitter song titled “Paradise,” in which he sang:

The coal company came with the world’s largest shovel
And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land
Well, they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man

John grew up in a country music-loving family. He learned guitar as a young teenager from his grandfather and brother and began writing songs.

After graduating from high school, he worked for the Post Office for two years before being drafted into the Army, which sent him to West Germany in charge of the motor pool at his base. After being discharged, he resumed his mail route, in and around his hometown, composing songs in his head.

“I always likened the mail route to a library with no books,” he wrote on his website. “I passed the time each day making up these little ditties.”

Reluctantly, he took the stage for the first time at an open-mic night at the Fifth Peg, where his performance of “Hello in There” and “Angel From Montgomery” met with profound silence from the audience. “They just sat there,” Mr. Prine wrote. “They didn’t even applaud, they just looked at me.”

Then the clapping began. “It was like I found out all of a sudden that I could communicate deep feelings and emotions,” he wrote. “And to find that out all at once was amazing.”

Not long after, Roger Ebert, the film critic for The Chicago Tribune, wandered into the club while Mr. Prine was performing. He liked what he heard and wrote Mr. Prine’s first review, under the headline “Singing Mailman Who Delivers a Powerful Message in a Few Words.”

“He appears onstage with such modesty he almost seems to be backing into the spotlight,” Mr. Ebert wrote. “He sings rather quietly, and his guitar work is good, but he doesn’t show off. He starts slow. But after a song or two, even the drunks in the room begin to listen to his lyrics. And then he has you.”

Mr. Prine had a particular gift for offbeat humor, reflected in songs like “Jesus, the Lost Years,” “Some Humans Ain’t Human,” “Sabu Visits the Twin Cities Alone” and the antiwar screed “Your Flag Decal Won’t Get You Into Heaven Anymore.”

“I guess what I always found funny was the human condition,” he told the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph in 2013. “There is a certain comedy and pathos to trouble and accidents.”

After recording several albums for Atlantic and Asylum, he started his own label, Oh Boy Records, in 1984. He never had a hit record, but he commanded a loyal audience that ensured steady if modest sales for his albums and a durable concert career.

In 1992, his album “The Missing Years,” with guest appearances by Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty and other artists, won a Grammy Award for best contemporary folk recording. He received a second Grammy in the same category in 2006 for the album “Fair and Square.”

Mr. Prine, who lived in Nashville, was divorced twice. He is survived by his wife, Fiona Whelan Prine, a native of Ireland whom he married in 1996; three sons, Jody, Jack and Tommy; two brothers, Dave and Billy; and three grandchildren. In 2017, Mr. Prine published “John Prine Beyond Words,” a collection of lyrics, guitar chords, commentary and photographs from his own archive.

In 2019, he was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and his album “Tree of Forgiveness” was nominated for a Grammy, for best Americana album. It was his 19th album and his first of original material in more than a decade. (The award went to Brandi Carlile, for “By the Way, I Forgive You.”)

Mr. Prine went on tour in 2018 to promote “Tree of Forgiveness,” and after a two-night stand at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville — known there as the mother church of country music — Margaret Renkl, a contributing opinion writer for The New York Times, wrote, under the headline “American Oracle”:

“The mother church of country music, where the seats are scratched-up pews and the windows are stained glass, is the place where the new John Prine — older now, scarred by cancer surgeries, his voice deeper and full of gravel — is most clearly still the old John Prine: mischievous, delighting in tomfoolery, but also worried about the world.”

As a songwriter, Mr. Prine was prolific and quick. In the early days, he would sometimes dash off a song while driving to a club.

“Sometimes, the best ones come together at the exact same time, and it takes about as long to write it as it does to sing it,” he told the poet Ted Kooser in an interview at the Library of Congress in 2005. “They come along like a dream or something, and you just got to hurry up and respond to it, because if you mess around, the song is liable to pass you by.”

Texhead
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Texhead » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:46 pm

RIP Hello in There😢

danM
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by danM » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:09 pm

You were a class act.
Thx for all the tunes.
9/14 Yarn
10/18 Yarn
10/31 Dead& Co
11/1&2 RRE
11/29&30 RRE
12/1 Joan,Jackie,Anders do Dylan
12/20&21 From Good Homes

caseyjonesed
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by caseyjonesed » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:52 pm

Thank you John Prine. Never met you, but you changed my life.

I got sober on 1/9/2004. don't congratulate me. I quit cause I was scared to die. And
for some reason a miracle.Next thing you know I get a job! In Ames, Iowa. I'm in fucking
Ames sober and everything is like fresh dew on the lawn. New. alive.

And who is coming to town? John Prine. I ask my temporary sponsor if he wants to go
and there I am enjoying life again. John Prine has given me the opportunity to know
I can go to a show sober.What a concept! :whoa Actually saw Jorma & Jack a month
after I got sober. I knew I wouldn't make it if I couldn't not get fucked up at shows.
Had to walk into the Lions Den and out again.

Took me 5 years to fall in love. Literally at first sight. Shanny. Like coming to an oasis
after wandering in the desert. I was creating and editing and writing
www.GreenEarthLive.com and I had the idea to go to Atlanta's Chastain Park to see
John Prine and write about 'Paradise'. Shanny and I got passes and good seats and had
a trip for the ages. I knew we would be married after that trip to see John Prine.

so I thank you John Prine. you changed my destiny to a course of happiness. :clap

may you rest and peace.

denaz
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by denaz » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:11 pm

Great story, we lost a good one!! :(
when the going gets weird, weir turns pro

Subwoofer
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Subwoofer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:50 am

So sad.
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows...

TIMMY
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by TIMMY » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:35 am

very sad news. You may see me tonight... listening and tipping one to you Mr. Prine! thank you for such a good time! :cry:
timmy

caseyjonesed
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by caseyjonesed » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:11 am

rdiberna
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by rdiberna » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:32 am

RIP 😣

danM
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by danM » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:53 am

Buddy, when you’re dead
You’re a dead peckerhead
Enjoy that vodka and long cigarette
John
9/14 Yarn
10/18 Yarn
10/31 Dead& Co
11/1&2 RRE
11/29&30 RRE
12/1 Joan,Jackie,Anders do Dylan
12/20&21 From Good Homes

harmon712
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by harmon712 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:51 am

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Jack O. Hartz
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Jack O. Hartz » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:08 am

An American treasure, A joy to see perform live.
We will understand it better bye and bye.

rugles
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by rugles » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:04 am

Wasn't Bobby just working with him recently?
It was in Bobcaygeon
I saw the constellations
Reveal themselves one star at a time

- Gord Downie

richblueyes
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by richblueyes » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:15 am

Saw the notice last night. Talk about air out of the tire. RIP John.
Inspiration move me brightly / Light my heart with sense and color /
Hold away despair / More than this I will not ask / Faced with mysteries dark and vast.............

Sling Shot On Mars
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Sling Shot On Mars » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:48 am

We certainly lost an American Treasure. My jaw hit the floor last night when I read the news, I thought that he was doing better with his battle of Covid.

Sitting here listening to "Speed of the Sound of Loneliness" with tears rolling down my cheeks.

RIP Mr. John Prine. You will certainly be missed and loved everyday.
Yet somehow amongst all of this sadness I can see you up there looking down and singing "Everything is Cool"

richblueyes
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by richblueyes » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:11 pm

https://www.jambase.com/article/john-prine-tributes

Message from His wife about passing and messages from friends.
Inspiration move me brightly / Light my heart with sense and color /
Hold away despair / More than this I will not ask / Faced with mysteries dark and vast.............