Tavares not ruled out of season opener for Maple Leafs
Center sustained oblique injury Sept. 24; Toronto begins at Montreal on Oct. 12

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Re: It's a great day for hockey 2022-2023

Post by hockeygame3 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:18 am

Niederreiter lifts Predators to sweep of Sharks at Global Series
Scores twice, Lankinen makes 31 saves; Kunin, Couture each has goal for San Jose

Okposo named Sabres captain, replaces Eichel
Forward entering seventh season with Buffalo; Dahlin, Girgensons will be alternates

Sutter gets two-year contract as Flames coach
Begins in 2023-24; won Jack Adams Award after leading Calgary to Pacific Division title last season

NHL Training Camp Buzz: Myers out 2-4 weeks for Canucks
Tarasenko in lineup for Blues preseason finale; Oshie day to day for Capitals

Staal contract with Hurricanes could come 'in the near future'
Forward wants to stay with Carolina, GM optimistic deal can be reached

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:19 am

Former NHL goaltender Dave Dryden passes away at 81

Former NHL goaltender Dave Dryden has passed away at the age of 81.

Dryden, the older brother of Hall of Fame goaltender Ken Dryden, played 203 career NHL games with the New York Rangers, Chicago Blackhawks, Buffalo Sabres and Edmonton Oilers.

On March 20, 1971 at the Montreal Forum, Dave - then with the visiting Sabres - and Ken became the first siblings to face each other in goal in an NHL game.

"The National Hockey League mourns the recent passing of former goaltender, equipment innovator, educator and philanthropist Dave Dryden," said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman in a statement. "Respected and liked by all who were lucky enough to know him, Dryden made contributions to our game beyond his 14 seasons tending goal as a pro in the NHL and WHA – including a memorable game when he and brother, Ken, became the first siblings to play goal against each other in the NHL.

"In the mid-1970s, he reimagined the goalie mask, designing the combination fiberglass helmet and birdcage front that greatly increased protection, transformed the way the position could be played and remains the most popular in use today. After retirement, he worked with the League on refinements to equipment, always focused on better protecting athletes. He also pursued a lengthy post-playing career as an elementary school principal and ran the bed-providing charity Sleeping Children Around the World that his parents founded.

"We send our deepest condolences to Dave’s wife, Sandra, their two children and six grandchildren and all whose lives and careers were improved by his work. And, in his name, the NHL will be making a donation to Sleeping Children Around the World."

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:55 am

NHL Buzz: Oshie, Orlov could play for Capitals in season opener
Foligno placed on waivers by Bruins; Tavares practices with Maple Leafs

Aston-Reese signs one-year contract with Maple Leafs
Forward was in training camp on PTO, had 15 points last season with Penguins, Ducks

Vesey agrees to one-year contract with Rangers
Forward was in training camp on PTO, had 15 points with Devils last season

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:59 am

Lightning suspend D Cole pending investigation
The Tampa Bay Lightning have suspended Ian Cole pending investigation after allegations surfaced this weekend of grooming and sexual assault involving the defenceman.
The Canadian Press

The Tampa Bay Lightning suspended defenceman Ian Cole pending an investigation into allegations made on social media that he sexually abused a woman when she was a minor.

The Lightning said Sunday night they were fully cooperating with the NHL on an investigation and were making the decision to suspend Cole until they gather more details. It's the latest off-ice scandal to rock hockey and bring the sport's culture into question.

“Our organization takes these allegations very seriously,” the team said in a statement. "No members of the organization, including players, will comment further at this time.”

Cole, in a statement sent by agent Kevin Magnuson, said he completely denies the allegations and will cooperate with the league, team and their legal departments in the forthcoming investigation.

“I take the allegations made against me today in an anonymous tweet very seriously,” Cole said. “I look forward to clearing my name and demonstrating to the NHL and the Tampa Bay Lightning that these allegations are unfounded.”

Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly told The Associated Press earlier Sunday the league had launched an investigation. Daly added the league had no prior knowledge of the allegations until they were posted on social media.

Cole's agent did not immediately respond to multiple messages seeking comment.

Among the allegations posted anonymously to Twitter on Friday by an account created last month, the person said Cole pressured her into having sex multiple times when she was a minor after he had reached the NHL.

In the posting, the person accused Cole of emotional and sexual abuse, and said the NHL must hold itself and its players accountable for creating an environment of misogynistic and predatory behavior.

The 33-year-old Cole made his NHL debut with St. Louis in 2010 and played five seasons for the Blues before being traded to Pittsburgh. It was not clear where he was playing when the person said Cole sexually abused and groomed her.

Cole, a Michigan native, has played 780 regular-season and playoff games with St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Colorado, Minnesota and Carolina. He signed a $3 million, one-year contract with Tampa Bay in July.

The investigation of Cole comes as the NHL is in the midst of reviewing allegations made by woman who said she was sexually assaulted by eight members of the Canada’s world junior team at a gala in 2018. News surfaced earlier this year Hockey Canada settled a lawsuit with the woman. Several players from that team currently play in the NHL.

Talking about the Hockey Canada situation, Commissioner Gary Bettman in July said he did not think hockey has a culture problem.

“I think there are problems that are experienced in all sports and throughout society that are unacceptable and I don’t think we’re any different in that regard than anybody else and I certainly don’t think that’s an issue at the NHL level,” Bettman said at the time. “I can’t speak necessarily to the other levels of hockey. Not to suggest it makes it OK, but there were widely reported other incidents in other sports and conduct that’s unacceptable. I want to hold our game to a higher standard.”

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:01 am

The Toronto Maple Leafs placed Wayne Simmonds, Victor Mete, Kyle Clifford, and Adam Gaudette on waivers. Simmonds, 34, played 72 games last season with the Leafs, recording five goals and 11 assists. In 110 career games in Toronto, Simmonds has 12 goals and 13 assists.

Juuso Valimaki, who was placed on waivers Saturday by the Calgary Flames, was claimed by the Arizona Coyotes. The 24-year-old played nine games with the Flames last season, recording two assists. In 82 career NHL games, Valimaki has three goals and 13 assists. He was selected in the first round (16th overall) by the Flames in the 2017 NHL Draft.

The Montreal Canadiens have placed Madison Bowey and Corey Schueneman on waivers for the purpose of sending them to the AHL's Laval Rocket.

The Edmonton Oilers have placed forward Devin Shore on waivers for the purpose of assignment to the AHL's Bakersfield Condors, the team announced on Sunday.

The Winnipeg Jets have placed forward Jansen Harkins on waivers for assignment to the Manitoba Moose.

Other playes placed on Sunday's waivers include:

Nick Foligno (BOS)
Mike Reilly (BOS)
Chris Wagner (BOS)
Anoton Blidh (COL)
Mikhail Maltsev (COL)
Emil Bemstrom (Cbj)
Will Butcher (DAL)
Josh Leivo (STL)
Phillpe Myers (TB)
Michael Del Zotto (FLA)
Alex Lyon (FLA0
Gerald Mayhew (FlA0
Chris Tierney (FLA)
Pheonix Copley (LA)
Nic Petan (MIN)
Mason Shaw (MIN)
Mason Geertsen (NJ)
Connor Ingram (NSH)

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:39 am

Opening Night 2022-2023

Tuesday, Oct 11

Tampa Bay@ NY Rangers
7:30 PM ET
SN1, TVAS, ESPN

Vegas@ Los Angeles
10:00 PM ET
SN1, TVAS, ESPN

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:40 am

Stanley Cup predictions for 2022-23 NHL season
Hurricanes, Avalanche favorites among NHL.com staff preseason picks

The Carolina Hurricanes and Colorado Avalanche are the favorites to win the Stanley Cup this season, according to NHL.com staff writers and editors.

Of the 15 staffers who made their preseason predictions, six picked Carolina to win the Cup for the first time since 2006, while four predicted the Avalanche to repeat as champs.

The Florida Panthers and Edmonton Oilers got two votes each, and the Tampa Bay Lightning had one.

If the Hurricanes win the Cup, forward Sebastian Aho will win the Conn Smythe Trophy as most valuable player of the playoffs, five of the six who picked Carolina to win said. Forward Andrei Svechnikov got the other two votes.

Colorado center Nathan MacKinnon got three Conn Smythe picks, with the other going to last season's winner, defenseman Cale Makar.

Connor McDavid of the Oilers got two picks for Conn Smythe, and Panthers forwards Aleksander Barkov and Matthew Tkachuk, and Lightning forward Brayden Point each got one vote.

Though they weren't picked to win the Cup, the New York Rangers and Calgary Flames were each picked by three staffers to reach the Cup Final. The Nashville Predators also got one pick to reach the Final.

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:42 am

Toronto Maple Leafs
Forwards Wayne Simmonds, Kyle Clifford and Adam Gaudette, and defenseman Victor Mete cleared waivers and were assigned to the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League on Monday.

"Reality of where we are at with the [NHL salary] cap and our roster," coach Shledon Keefe said. "Frankly ever since we made the decision to sign Calle Jarnkrok, we were in a position where we knew we were going to be carrying a tight roster, a very short roster. We believe that Jarnkrok, that addition makes us a better and deeper team and as a result you are going to have to make some decisions like this. These guys (being sent down) we really believe in. Clifford and Simmonds in particular are guys that mean a lot to our team and to our room. ... The 12 forwards we have remaining I believe we are a deeper and improved forward group than we were a year ago so there are some guys who are going to slide down that depth chart."

Simmonds has 524 points (263 goals, 261 assists) in 1,019 regular-season games and 22 points (eight goals, 14 assists) in 53 playoff games with the Los Angeles Kings, Philadelphia Flyers, Nashville Predators, New Jersey Devils, Buffalo Sabres and Maple Leafs. He signed a two-year, $1.8 million contract on July 29, 2021.

Clifford has 143 points (66 goals, 77 assists) in 751 regular-season games with the Kings, St. Louis Blues and Maple Leafs. The 31-year-old has 16 points (four goals, 12 assists) in 64 playoff games and won the Stanley Cup with Los Angeles in 2012 and 2014.

Gaudette signed a one-year contract with the Maple Leafs on July 13 and Mete signed a one-year contract the next day.

Nick Robertson was also assigned to the Marlies. The 21-year-old forward had one goal in 10 NHL games last season.

"I think the best we can do is just talk to him and be up front and honest," Keefe said. "It's an unfortunate situation for a player who has worked really hard and is as competitive as he is and he did all the things we asked him to do. A player like him at his age is never a finished product so I think there is always some benefit to playing in the AHL." -- Dave McCarthy

New York Rangers
Sammy Blais did not practice Monday and the forward is doubtful for the Rangers season opener against the Tampa Bay Lightning at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday (7:30 p.m. ET; ESPN, ESPN+, SN1, TVAS, SN NOW).

Blais sustained an upper-body injury early in New York's final preseason game against the Boston Bruins on Saturday.

The 26-year-old hasn't played since Nov. 14, when he suffered a torn ACL in his right knee that required season-ending surgery. He had four assists in 14 games with the Rangers last season.

Blais started training camp as the right wing on the Rangers top line with center Mika Zibanejad and left wing Chris Kreider, but he likely would have started the season as the left wing on the fourth line with center Ryan Carpenter and right wing Ryan Reaves.

Dryden Hunt or Jimmy Vesey could be the left wing on the fourth line against the Lightning. Vesey agreed to a one-year contract Sunday. He was in training camp on a professional tryout contract (PTO). -- Dan Rosen, senior writer

Buffalo Sabres
Kyle Okposo returned to practice Monday in the hopes of being ready for the season opener against the Ottawa Senators on Thursday (7 p.m. ET; MSG-B, TSN5, RDS, ESPN+, SN NOW).

The forward, who was named captain of the Sabres on Saturday, sustained an upper-body injury late in the second period in a preseason game against the Carolina Hurricanes on Oct. 4.

"We'll see," he said. "Definitely working hard to try and get back for that. But no definitive answer on that for you."

Okposo wore a no-contact jersey and participated in most of the drills, even taking "a bump or two that I wasn't supposed to." It was his first time skating since being injured.

"He was fully engaged," coach Don Granato said. "So, very encouraging. Obviously, knowing him, no secret he's going to want to play Thursday and I'm probably going to be cautious of that based on the fact that he's still where he's at now with the yellow jersey on. But we'll cross that bridge when we have to. He did, by the way, want to skate last week and we had to tell him no. We'll still take it day by day and that little ongoing battle. He's a competitive guy." -- Heather Engel

Washington Capitals
Forward T.J. Oshie (upper body) and defenseman Dmitry Orlov (lower body) are optimistic about being ready to play in the Capitals regular-season opener against the Boston Bruins on Wednesday (7 p.m. ET; TNT, SN NOW) after practicing Sunday. Each did not play in Washington's preseason finale against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday after being injured against the Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday.

"That night, it was a little scary," said Oshie, who was injured when he was checked into the boards by Red Wings forward Joe Veleno. "We didn't know how it was going to feel in the morning and woke up in the morning and it felt a lot better than we expected. I still got to go through all the steps with (athletic trainer Jason Serbus), so I'm not going insert myself anywhere, but I felt really good today."

Orlov said he tweaked something against the Red Wings and felt stiff the next day, so the Capitals held him out of practice for two days.

"Right now, I feel good," Orlov said. "It feels normal almost and I've got a couple more days to feel more ready and get prepared for the first big game of the season." -- Tom Gulitti

Philadelphia Flyers
Sean Couturier will not play in the season opener against the New Jersey Devils on Thursday (7 p.m. ET; ESPN+, HULU, SN NOW).

The center has been considered week to week because of an upper-body injury sustained before training camp started.

"I haven't talked to the trainers, I'm not exactly sure where they're at with that," coach John Tortorella said Sunday. "It's certainly not going to be opening night. What it comes down to in days or weeks, I'm not sure."

Couturier skated on his own for about 40 minutes. He's been skating since the end of last week, but said Sunday was the first time he was allowed to shoot pucks and stick-handle.

"Just getting better and better every day," he said. "Back on the ice so that's a step in the right direction. ... We're going gradually, every day doing a little more and see how it responds every day and how it goes.

"Really day to day. They're kind of evaluating me every day, see how I go, see how I progress. The goal is really to be 100 percent when I come back and not have to deal with anything all year."

Couturier didn't play last season after Dec. 18, and had season-ending back surgery Feb. 11. He said he had been fully cleared for training camp the first week of September. -- Adam Kimelman

Vancouver Canucks
Brock Boeser practiced Sunday for the first time since surgery on his hand Sept. 26 and the forward could return for the season opener Wednesday at the Edmonton Oilers (10 p.m. ET; SN, ESPN+, SN NOW).

Boeser was originally expected to miss 3-4 weeks and 3-7 games but resumed skating and stickhandling within a week of surgery and was shooting during practice Sunday while wearing a no-contact jersey.

"He was happy to be out there. His legs are fine," coach Bruce Boudreau said. "We just got to get the rest of his body ready and hopefully he will get permission to play on Wednesday."

Boeser, who opened training camp on right wing of a top line with center J.T. Miller and Tanner Pearson, had 46 points (23 goals, 23 assists) in 71 games last season. The 25-year-old skated primarily on a fourth line with left wing Dakota Joshua and center Nils Aman on Sunday.

Forward Conor Garland, who left in the second period of a 4-0 preseason win against the Arizona Coyotes on Friday with an undisclosed injury, did not practice Sunday. Neither did top defenseman Quinn Hughes, who did not play against the Coyotes, but Boudreau said both were having maintenance days.

"They'll both be on the ice [Monday]," Boudreau said. -- Kevin Woodley

Pittsburgh Penguins
Teddy Blueger was the only player missing from a night practice on Monday. The forward practiced in a no-contact jersey Sunday after sustaining an upper-body injury in practice on Sept. 28.

Blueger is still day to day, coach Mike Sullivan said.

On Friday, Sullivan said the Penguins wanted Blueger to take full contact in at least one practice before opening their regular season against the Arizona Coyotes at PPG Paints Arena on Thursday. Ryan Poehling would likely take over at fourth-line center if Blueger can't play.

Pierre-Olivier Joseph made the Penguins' initial 23-man roster on Monday. The 23-year-old defenseman, one of Pittsburgh's top prospects, has five points (one goal, four assists) in 20 NHL games, including zero in four games last season. Joseph competed with Ty Smith for the final spot on the Penguins' defense.

"These decisions are very difficult, as I've mentioned over the last few days," Sullivan said. "These aren't easy decisions by any stretch. We feel as though we have nine defensemen that are legitimate, bona fide NHL defensemen. But we can't keep nine." -- Wes Crosby

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:45 am

Tuesday, Oct 11

TBL 1, NYR 3
VGK 4, LAK 3

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:46 am

Wednesday, Oct 12

Boston@ Washington
7:00 PM ET TNT

Columbus@ Carolina
7:00 PM ET
BSSO, BSOH

Toronto@ Montréal
7:00 PM ET
SN, TVAS

Chicago@ Colorado
9:30 PM ET TNT

Seattle@ Anaheim
BSSC, ROOT-NW

Vancouver@ Edmonton
SN

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:48 am

Zibanejad scores twice, Rangers defeat Lightning in season opener
Shesterkin makes 25 saves; Kravtsov leaves with upper-body injury

Stone scores late, Golden Knights defeat Kings in season opener
Breaks tie with 26 seconds left in third period to give Cassidy win in Vegas coaching debut

Samuelsson signs seven-year, $30 million contract with Sabres
Defenseman has 12 assists in 54 NHL games, could have become restricted free agent after season

Granato signs multiyear contract as Sabres coach
Enters second full season, praised by GM for passion, leadership

2pigpen
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by 2pigpen » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:20 am

SUCKS

=;
using computer generated graphics superimposed over the boards is the NEXT most annoying thing they can do with their presentation of the broadcast =;
(they flying camera inside an arena is the worst - absolutely no depth perception of where the puck is on the ice or in whatever zone they are focused on - just trees in a forest and I have no idea who has or where the puck is going)
DAMN
watching an ever changing background sucks while the puck is in play
when the boards are WHITER than the ice - houston we have a problem!

ESPN is terrible trying to be cool
and I fully understand they want to get the revenue from the advertising on the boards
but
the constant changing and then when they change angles and you see the actual boards in the arena

the switches are gonna trigger a seizure :rant :rant :rant
Till They Put Me Under
It's Festival Time

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:21 pm

2pigpen wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:20 am

SUCKS

=;
using computer generated graphics superimposed over the boards is the NEXT most annoying thing they can do with their presentation of the broadcast =;
(they flying camera inside an arena is the worst - absolutely no depth perception of where the puck is on the ice or in whatever zone they are focused on - just trees in a forest and I have no idea who has or where the puck is going)
DAMN

and I fully understand they want to get the revenue from the advertising on the boards
but
the constant changing and then when they change angles and you see the actual boards in the arena

I saw that last night as well ](*,)
Just more advertising money :-
I would not be surprised if everybody is doing it
Tonight, is TNT and I'm sure they are on board
I wonder about the local broadcast :- We shall see

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:23 pm

NHL center ice might be free for the 1st week or so.....

Well, was in the past guess we will find out tonight

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:16 pm

2pigpen wrote:

SUCKS

=;
DAMN

but

TNT does not have it :rofl
The fuckin ESPN money sucking machine at work :lol:
Just a matter of time before everybody has it

2pigpen
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by 2pigpen » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:40 pm

hockeygame3 wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:16 pm
2pigpen wrote:

SUCKS

=;
DAMN

but

TNT does not have it :rofl
The fuckin ESPN money sucking machine at work :lol:
Just a matter of time before everybody has it

I peaked at the Columbus feed of their game on the road
yup
they’re doing it

I hope msg doesn’t feel the need to grasp pennies

It is very distracting to see
Till They Put Me Under
It's Festival Time

hockeygame3