Talk Sports
2pigpen
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Re: It's a great day for hockey 2020- 2021

Post by 2pigpen » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:58 am

hockeygame3 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:57 am

Kane, 29, is three seasons into a $49 million, seven-year contract. He’s with his third organization after being drafted by and debuting with Atlanta/Winnipeg and a stint in Buffalo. .
:- :- :-
I do not believe for a moment that he bets on games or has the ability to throw one
(goalies can throw games; maybe - but what's a winger going to do? not score on a given night... true ...defensively you can be out to lunch but a game is so fluid it is hardly likely one guy can throw a game)

the problem with Evander is that there seems to be some smoke everywhere he goes
woman trouble, team trouble etc.....

#4 draft pick and never seemingly happy

for his career he is a minus player :shock:
Till They Put Me Under
It's Festival Time

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:14 pm

2pigpen wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:58 am
hockeygame3 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:57 am

Kane, 29, is three seasons into a $49 million, seven-year contract. He’s with his third organization after being drafted by and debuting with Atlanta/Winnipeg and a stint in Buffalo. .
:- :- :-
I do not believe for a moment that he bets on games or has the ability to throw one
(goalies can throw games; maybe - but what's a winger going to do? not score on a given night... true ...defensively you can be out to lunch but a game is so fluid it is hardly likely one guy can throw a game)

the problem with Evander is that there seems to be some smoke everywhere he goes
woman trouble, team trouble etc.....

#4 draft pick and never seemingly happy

for his career he is a minus player :shock:
This is getting real ugly :-

Anna Kane wrote: “How does the NHL let a compulsive gambling addict still play when he’s obviously throwing games to win money? Hmm maybe someone needs to address this.”

She added: “Can someone ask [Commissioner] Gary Bettman how they let a player gamble on his own games? Bet and win with bookies on his own games?”

In a separate post, Anna Kane accused her husband of spending lavishly partying in Europe while asking her to sell her wedding ring to survive and wrote about not being able to afford baby formula for their child.

Evander Kane said the two are in the process of getting a divorce and called Anna Kane “mentally unwell”.

“I love my daughter,” he wrote. “I will and always have taken care of my daughter in every way possible. I have always made sure her mother has had everything she’s needed and more.

“I have tried to de-escalate our divorce issues and be as civil and calm as anyone in this position could. I have tried to set up FaceTime calls but not every day as I would like to because of being restricted by her mom. She has refused me to see her and had unfortunately tried to use my daughter as leverage. I will continue to always take care of my family, that goes without question.”

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:16 pm

Nurse signs eight-year contract extension with Oilers
Defenseman scored 16 goals last season, will receive $9.25 million annually beginning next season

Bergeron, Bruins discussing contract extension
Captain has one season remaining; GM says Krejci could return

Pelech agrees to eight-year contract with Islanders
Defenseman avoids arbitration hearing, scored 14 points in 56 games last season

Dunn agrees to two-year contract with Kraken, avoids arbitration hearing
Defenseman gets $8 million, scored 20 points last season

Hagel signs three-year, $4.5 million contract with Blackhawks
Restricted free agent forward scored 24 points in 52 games last season

Tatar signs two-year, $9 million contract with Devils
Forward was unrestricted free agent; Sharangovich gets two-year deal

Johansson agrees to one-year, $1.5 million contract with Kraken
Forward, who was unrestricted free agent, scored 14 points for Wild last season

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:52 pm

Hockey Hall of Fame goaltender Tony Esposito dies at 78

Tony Esposito, a Hall of Fame goaltender who rose to fame with Chicago, has died at 78.

The team announced on Twitter that Esposito died Tuesday after a battle with pancreatic cancer.

Esposito, from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., came to prominence in Chicago after being claimed off waivers from the Montreal Canadiens in 1969.

He posted a 38-17-9 record with 15 shutouts and a 2.17 goals-against average in the 1969-70 season, winning the first of his three Vezina trophies as the NHL's top goaltender as well as the Calder Trophy as the league's top rookie.

He went on to play 15 seasons in Chicago before retiring in 1984.

A six-time all-star, Esposito had a career record of 423-306-151 with a 2.92 GAA, .906 save percentage and 76 shutouts.

He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1988, four years after his brother, Boston Bruins legend He who shall not be named Esposito. :( :(

EProphet
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by EProphet » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:03 pm

RIP Tony O

berry_good
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by berry_good » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:26 am

NHL approves jersey ads for 2022-23 season

NHL board of governors approves jersey ads for 2022-23 season, according to reports

The National Hockey League will become the latest league to feature advertisements on player jerseys after the league's board of governors unanimously approved the change for the 2022-23 season.

Clubs can begin negotiating with potential partners, according to a memo obtained by Sportico and confirmed by ESPN.

The ads must fit a rectangle 3 inches by 3.5 inches, making them slightly larger than the patches that the NBA added to its jerseys in 2017.

According to ESPN, the league surveyed its teams and the majority were in favor of stitching ads onto jerseys before the board of governors formally approved the policy.

2pigpen
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by 2pigpen » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:04 pm

berry_good wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:26 am

NHL board of governors approves jersey ads for 2022-23 season, according to reports

The National Hockey League will become the latest league to feature advertisements on player jerseys after the league's board of governors unanimously approved the change for the 2022-23 season.

Clubs can begin negotiating with potential partners, according to a memo obtained by Sportico and confirmed by ESPN.

The ads must fit a rectangle 3 inches by 3.5 inches, making them slightly larger than the patches that the NBA added to its jerseys in 2017.

According to ESPN, the league surveyed its teams and the majority were in favor of stitching ads onto jerseys before the board of governors formally approved the policy.

:rant :rant ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :rant :rant :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :faint

NHL Sweaters are SACRED
is there nothing sacred anymore
I thought it was bad enough that they allowed advertisements on the helmets due to the pandemic
(I understand the need to generate cash for many clubs)

this is beyond the pale
it's as bad as the swoosh on Yankee pinstripes
some things just don't belong
it's the photographs that are viewed in a hundred years
why give in to cheap advertising for a dollar? :-k

have some dignity and respect for the players who came before (and made a lot less money)
Till They Put Me Under
It's Festival Time

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:28 pm

2pigpen wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:04 pm
berry_good wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:26 am

:rant :rant ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :rant :rant :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :faint

NHL Sweaters are SACRED
is there nothing sacred anymore
I thought it was bad enough that they allowed advertisements on the helmets due to the pandemic
(I understand the need to generate cash for many clubs)

this is beyond the pale
it's as bad as the swoosh on Yankee pinstripes
some things just don't belong
it's the photographs that are viewed in a hundred years
why give in to cheap advertising for a dollar? :-k

have some dignity and respect for the players who came before (and made a lot less money)
nothing stands in the way of money :-

EProphet
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by EProphet » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:53 pm

In ten years, how many ads will be on NHL jerseys ?
Five ?
Ten ?

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:47 pm

EProphet wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:53 pm
In ten years, how many ads will be on NHL jerseys ?
Five ?
Ten ?
Have you ever seen what the ice and jerseys look like in Europe ?

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:56 am

Henrik Lundqvist calls time on remarkable career, announces retirement after 15 NHL seasons

Henrik Lundqvist, one of the greatest goaltenders of his generation, announced his retirement Friday less than nine months after heart surgery.

The 39-year-old Swede starred for years for the New York Rangers, where he piled up 459 wins along with a a 2.43 goals-against average and 64 shutouts in 15 seasons.

He is sixth in NHL history in wins, seventh in saves (23,509), eighth in games played (887), ninth in starts (871), ninth in time on ice (51,816:51) and 17th in shutouts, according to the NHL.

He signed a one-year, $1.5 million US contract with the Washington Capitals last October but never took the ice after announcing he had a heart condition. He had surgery in January, but didn't begin workouts until last month and became an unrestricted free agent July 28.

"It's time," Lundqvist wrote in a social media post. "For the last 30 years, I have devoted my life to the game of hockey and now it's time to walk away from the game I love and begin a new chapter."

The man known as "King Henrik" was wildly popular and his departure from the Rangers was painful to many fans, even if it was expected. His deal with Washington came with the hope of Lundqvist earning his first Stanley Cup championship.

Instead, he will head into retirement. Lundqvist said he was excited about the future but did not detail specific plans.

"There are many things I love about the game: From the excitement I felt as an eight-year-old at my first practice to the 15 years of butterflies I had every time I took the ice in the greatest city in the world," he wrote. "I'm extremely grateful for what hockey has brought me and taught me in life. These lessons will never leave me."

Lundqvist appeared in 887 NHL regular-season games, plus another 130 in the playoffs, and he came close to a championship in 2014, leading the Rangers to the Cup Final. He lost postseason series to the Capitals in 2009 and 2011, then eliminated them in 2012, 2013 and 2015.

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:09 pm

Jimmy Hayes dies at 31, played seven NHL seasons
Scored 109 points with four teams; brother Kevin is center for Flyers

Jimmy Hayes, who played seven NHL seasons with four teams, has died. He was 31 years old.

Hayes was selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the second round (No. 60) of the 2008 NHL Draft but was traded to the Chicago Blackhawks on June 25, 2010.

Earlier that season, Hayes helped Boston College win its second straight NCAA Division I championship, scoring 35 points (13 goals, 22 assists) in 42 games as a sophomore, including getting an assist in a 5-0 win against Wisconsin in the title game. Among his teammates were New York Rangers forward Chris Kreider, Philadelphia Flyers forward Cam Atkinson and Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brian Dumoulin.

Hayes' younger brother, Kevin Hayes, is a center for the Flyers. They were teammates at Boston College for the 2010-11 season.

Hayes was the cousin of Calgary Flames forward Matthew Tkachuk and Ottawa Senators forward Brady Tkachuk; their father, former NHL forward Keith Tkachuk; and New Jersey Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald.

"We are heartbroken to learn of the passing of Jimmy Hayes," the Blackhawks said in a statement. "His warm personality made an immediate impact in the locker room and with our fans. We're proud of the memories he made in Chicago, including making his NHL debut in 2011. Sending our thoughts and prayers to his family."

Hayes turned professional following his junior season at Boston College and scored 109 points (54 goals, 55 assists) in 334 regular-season games with the Blackhawks, Florida Panthers, Boston Bruins and Devils. He did not have a point in two Stanley Cup Playoff games, which came as a rookie with Chicago in 2011-12.

"I'm devastated to learn of the passing of my friend Jimmy Hayes," Bruins captain Patrice Bergeron said in a statement. "It was a pleasure getting to know Jimmy, and he was such a joy to be around both on and off the ice. I'll always remember his big smile -- he was so positive and full of life. I'm going to really miss that. We've lost a great person.

"My family and I send our heartfelt condolences to his wife Kristen, their two young boys, his brother Kevin, and the rest of his family during this difficult time."

Hayes last played in the NHL with the Devils during the 2017-18 season, when he scored nine points (three goals, six assists) in 33 games.

"We are thinking of the Hayes family and friends during this difficult time," the Devils said in a statement. "His infectious personality and easygoing nature were contagious to all who spent time with him. He had a tremendous ability to make everyone feel welcome.

"You will be missed, Jimmy."

His last professional season was with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, the Pittsburgh Penguins' American Hockey League affiliate, in 2018-19.

"The NHL family mourns the passing of Jimmy Hayes, who appeared in over 300 games with the Blackhawks, Panthers, Devils and his hometown Bruins," the League said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Very very sad
RIP

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:02 am

Lundqvist 'was very close' to return with Capitals last season: report
Retired goalie's bid to play following open-heart surgery ended by inflammation

Henrik Lundqvist said he was days away from joining the Washington Capitals near the end of last season when the goalie's plan to resume his NHL career following open-heart surgery was derailed because of an infection.

Lundqvist, who announced his retirement Aug. 20, detailed how close he came to playing last season in an article published in the Swedish newspaper Göteborgs-Posten.

"It was three days before I was going back to Washington that I found out that I had pericarditis," Lundqvist said in Swedish, translated by NHL.com, referring to an inflammation of the membrane surrounding the heart. "I was very close to coming back. It was very tough to go through that again, but this was a completely different thing because it had nothing to do with the operation."

Lundqvist signed a one-year, $1.5 million contract with the Capitals on Oct. 9, 2020, after he had the final season of his contract bought out by the New York Rangers on Sept. 30. After 15 seasons with New York, Lundqvist was expected to compete for Washington's starting goalie job in training camp, but a physical raised new concerns about a heart condition he played with throughout his NHL career. After further testing, he received news in mid-December he needed to have a heart valve replaced.

Lundqvist resumed skating at a private rink in Alpine, New Jersey, on Feb. 23, about seven weeks after his surgery, and was on the ice nearly every day with the hope he would be cleared medically in time to help the Capitals in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. But he announced April 11 that a checkup revealed inflammation around his heart and that he would need more time to recover.

"I got some kind of infection that attacked and sat around the heart in some way. It was quite painful," Lundqvist said. "I was completely overwhelmed for five days, lying with chest pains and feeling sick."

Lundqvist's announcement that he would be unable to return last season came the day before the 2021 NHL Trade Deadline. Washington opted not to add another goalie before the deadline, and Vitek Vanecek, Ilya Samsonov and Craig Anderson each played in a five-game loss to the Boston Bruins in the Stanley Cup First Round.

ESPN analyst Kevin Weekes, who watched Lundqvist skate and face shots twice in the spring, said he believes the goalie would have been able to resume playing at a high level if he had been cleared to join the Capitals.

"It was him and I in one session and then him and I and (former NHL forward) Aaron Voros and a couple other shooters in another session, and it was the same attention to detail," said Weekes, a former NHL goalie who was a teammate of Lundqvist with the Rangers from 2005-07. "You couldn't tell if he was playing in [Madison Square Garden] in a game or if this was a skate and a goalie session for him working his way back from major heart surgery.

"You couldn't tell the difference. … From what I saw five months, four months ago, if the health was willing, he would have gone on there and been the same player, the same goalie."

Lundqvist began light workouts again in July and, after becoming an unrestricted free agent July 28, hoped to receive medical clearance to play this season. But the 39-year-old decided to retire after continued problems with the inflammation around his heart.

"I've had a couple of setbacks this spring -- and this was a reminder," Lundqvist said. "I didn't want to end up there again. I have to listen to the body and land on this decision (to retire)."

Lundqvist said he will need another surgery on his heart in the future to have a mechanical valve inserted. He opted to have a valve made of cow tissue inserted in January because he hoped to return to the NHL and wants to remain active physically after retirement.

"A mechanical valve is not recommended for an active life, because you'll have to back it up with blood-thinning medicine and I'm not interested in that," Lundqvist said. "Hockey was definitely a reason for the choice, but also what I should be able to do after my career. I want to be able to ski again. I haven't skied since 2003, I think. And before that it was 1998 or something like that."

Lundqvist finished his NHL career with a record of 459-310-96, a 2.43 goals-against average, .918 save percentage and 64 shutouts. He is sixth in NHL history in wins, seventh in saves (23,509), eighth in games played (887), ninth in starts (871), ninth in time on ice (51,816:51) and 17th in shutouts.

The Rangers announced Aug. 20 that they will retire his No. 30 at a date to be determined this season.

"It's a tremendous honor that they have chosen to retire my jersey," Lundqvist said. "The association will always have a big part of my heart. That's for sure."

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:06 am

Tavares expects to be ready for Maple Leafs training camp
Center 'doing fantastic' after sustaining concussion, knee injury in playoff opener

Maple Leafs add Ritchie, could fill vacancy on top line
Sign Mrazek to team with Campbell in goal, seek secondary scoring from Kampf, Bunting

Report: Eichel switching agents amid dispute with Sabres

Flyers sign Couturier to eight-year, $62M extension

'Canes sign F Svechnikov to eight-year, $62M extension

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:07 am

Tuukka Rask said he would "be a cheap goalie" for the Boston Bruins if they decide to sign the unrestricted free agent.

Rask, who had offseason surgery, said he could be ready to return in late December. The 34-year-old was expected to need 5-6 months to recover after having surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip in late July. He has played his entire 14-season NHL career with the Bruins.

"I played with one team when I was in Finland (Ilves), I have been so lucky to be part of only one team in the NHL," Rask told WEEI 93.7 FM on Wednesday. "For me, it's about that pride of playing for one team and one team only. I have no reason to chase the money anymore and go somewhere else. It's going to be one of those things where the Bruins are my home, Boston is my home. I've always wanted to play here, wanted to stay here. So the money won't be an issue. We had a conversation with [Bruins general manager Don Sweeney] and I will be a cheap goalie for them."

Rask, who signed an eight-year, $56 million contract ($7 million average annual value) with the Bruins on July 10, 2013, was 15-5-2 with a 2.28 goals-against average, a .913 save percentage and two shutouts in 24 games last season. He is the Bruins' all-time leader in wins (306) and is second in shutouts (52) behind Tiny Thompson (74).

"I would say I'm not looking for a $7 million contract anymore," he said. "I just like to help the team out. I feel like I'm a veteran goalie and there are some young guys coming in, so whatever I can do to help the guys out I will do it and end my career as a Bruin.

"I'll be ready to go probably around Christmastime, January. So hopefully I can start skating here in a month and a half or so and then progress from there and be ready to go in January."

The Bruins plan to start the season with Jeremy Swayman and Linus Ullmark as their goalies.

Swayman made his NHL debut April 6; the 22-year-old was 7-3-0 with a 1.50 GAA, a .945 save percentage and two shutouts in 10 games last season. Ullmark signed a four-year, $20 million contract ($5 million AAV) July 28; the 28-year-old was 9-6-3 with a 2.63 GAA and .917 save percentage in 20 games with the Buffalo Sabres.

Swayman played well enough to move past Jaroslav Halak on the depth chart and become Rask's backup during the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Bruins lost to the New York Islanders in six games in the best-of-7 Stanley Cup Second Round.

"He's a great goalie, talented goalie and a great guy," Rask said. "He's super outgoing and nice. I had a luxury of knowing him last year a little bit, he was around. He's got a great future ahead of him. Hopefully I can help him out."

Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said that he is confident in Boston's goalie situation.

"Ullmark's been in the League, brought him over from Buffalo, we feel he can be a real good starter in this league," he told WEEI on Tuesday. "And we've got Swayman, who came in at the end of the year and played like a starter. So you've got some young guys competing for the net every night, a couple of depth guys behind them (Troy Grosenick, Callum Booth), and then there's the wild card with Tuukka. He had surgery, he's rehabbing, will not be ready to play until well into February I would think or late January, somewhere in that timeline. So we'll see where he fits and where his rehab goes and where he wants to play."

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:10 am

NHL players will participate in 2022 Beijing Olympics
League reaches deal with IIHF after skipping PyeongChang in 2018

The NHL is returning to the Olympics.

The League and the NHL Players' Association announced Friday they have reached an agreement with the International Ice Hockey Federation to confirm a break in the 2021-22 NHL regular-season schedule to accommodate the participation of NHL players in the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics.

It will be the first Olympics for NHL players since 2014 in Sochi and the first best-on-best international tournament since the World Cup of Hockey 2016 in Toronto.

"We understand how passionately NHL players feel about representing and competing for their countries," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said. "We are very pleased that we were able to conclude arrangements that will allow them to resume best-on-best competition on the Olympic stage."

The agreement allows for the possibility of a later decision to withdraw in the event evolving COVID-19 conditions are deemed by the NHL and NHLPA to render participation by NHL players to be impractical or unsafe.

"Representing their country in the Olympics is important to the players, even in these uncertain times," NHLPA general counsel Don Zavelo said. "The players look forward to pulling on their nation's hockey sweater at the upcoming 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing as they compete for the gold medal."

The 2021-22 NHL season will break from Feb. 3-22 for the 2022 Honda NHL All-Star Weekend at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and the Olympic men's hockey tournament, which culminates with the gold medal game Feb. 20.

"I know that I can speak for hockey fans around the world when I say that we absolutely welcome the decision to bring back best-on-best ice hockey to the Olympics," IIHF president Rene Fasel said. "We had many constructive discussions, and a lot of hard work was put into making this happen within the time we set for ourselves, and I want to thank all parties involved for their support and commitment."

NHL players participated in five Olympics from 1998-2014 but did not go to PyeongChang in 2018. The League position has been that competing in the Olympics disrupts the NHL season, particularly when not held in North America.

But last year, when the NHL and the NHLPA extended the collective bargaining agreement through the 2025-26 season, they agreed to go to the Olympics if they could reach an agreement with the IIHF.

"You know what the League's traditional and historical position has been on the Olympics," Daly said June 28. "We remain of that view, and in fact, with the future Games in Beijing and the continued uncertainty with [COVID-19] and the Games being halfway around the world, (this is) not necessarily an ideal Games to elect to go to.

"Having said that, we negotiated in good faith with the Players' Association last summer. We agreed that if the conditions were right and we could reach agreement on all the material issues that we would commit and support going to the Olympics."

The Czech Republic won gold at the 1998 Nagano Olympics, the first to feature NHL players.

Canada has dominated best-on-best competition since, winning five of the past six tournaments: the World Cup in 2004 and 2016, and the Olympics at Salt Lake City in 2002, Vancouver in 2010 and Sochi in 2014. It has won 16 consecutive best-on-best games.

Sweden won gold at the 2006 Torino Olympics.

The United States won silver at Salt Lake City and Vancouver.

Some of the world's top NHL players could make their Olympic debuts in Beijing, including Connor McDavid (Canada), David Pastrnak (Czech Republic), Sebastian Aho (Finland), Nikita Kucherov (Russian Olympic Committee), Victor Hedman (Sweden), Leon Draisaitl (Germany), and Auston Matthews (United States).

The tournament will include 12 countries seeded into three groups. Joining the top eight nations that were seeded into the tournament according to the 2019 IIHF World Ranking -- Canada, Russian Olympic Committee, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, United States, Germany and Switzerland -- will be tournament host China as well as the recently qualified teams from Slovakia, Latvia and Denmark, who earned the final seeds last weekend in the final men's Olympic qualification tournaments.

2pigpen
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by 2pigpen » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:18 pm

^^^ I don't really like the NHL players playing - nor do I like NBA players either

as far as hockey
it never makes sense to stop the season - and people can (and do) get hurt and not be able to play for their team that is paying them big money usually....

I just wish the world would be honest enough for us to be able to send college kids and junior players to play others around the world....
oh wait
we do - World Championships

the Olympics are just a money grab for an old organization that has learned how to graft on the public dime for over a century... in the name of "pure" sport.... what a load of....
Till They Put Me Under
It's Festival Time

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:22 am

NHL
Sep 3, 2021

NHL to punish unvaccinated players more harshly this season
The NHL plans to punish unvaccinated players more harshly if they test positive for the coronavirus as part of new protocols for the upcoming season. Teams will be able to suspend unvaccinated players without pay if they cannot participate in hockey activities as part of the protocols, according to a person with knowledge of the new rules.
The Canadian Press

The NHL plans to punish unvaccinated players more harshly if they test positive for the coronavirus as part of new protocols for the upcoming season.

Teams will be able to suspend unvaccinated players without pay if they cannot participate in hockey activities as part of the protocols, according to a person with knowledge of the new rules. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Friday because the protocols had not been announced.

Fully vaccinated players will have any COVID-19 positives treated as hockey injuries and still be paid. Coaches and other team staff who closely interact with players are required to be fully vaccinated.

Unvaccinated players also will have their movements restricted when on the road. There will still be regular coronavirus testing for vaccinated players.

League officials estimated that between 90 and 95% of players are fully vaccinated or will be before training camps begin later this month. The season begins Oct. 12.

Teams were informed this week of the rules for 2021-22, which were first reported by Sportsnet in Canada. It’s not clear yet how crossing the U.S.-Canada border will affect the season.

The NHL realigned last season to take the border out of the equation until late in the playoffs. The seven Canada-based teams only faced off against each other, and the 24 in the U.S. played a division-only 56-game schedule.

When the Canadiens faced Vegas and Tampa Bay in the final two rounds, players and staff traveling back and forth were put in a quarantined bubble when in Montreal, as part of an agreement with the Canadian federal government. The NHL held the entire 2020 playoffs in bubbles in Toronto and Edmonton, Alberta, because of low virus case rates in those cities at the time.

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:26 am

Dvorak traded to Canadiens by Coyotes
Forward scored 31 points last season; Arizona receives two draft picks

Boyle signs professional tryout contract with Penguins
Forward did not play last season, was U.S. team captain at World Championship

Kotkaniemi to sign with Hurricanes; Canadiens won't match offer sheet
Forward will get one year, $6.1 million contract after being tendered Aug. 28

Top remaining NHL unrestricted free agents include Chara, Parise, Dubnyk
Staal, Neal, Zajac also available

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:28 am

NEW YORK -- The debut of the NHL's 32nd franchise, the Seattle Kraken, highlights the 2021-22 National Hockey League composite preseason schedule. The 15-day slate will be played from Sept. 25 to Oct. 9 as teams prepare for the opening of the regular season on Oct. 12.

The Kraken will take to the ice for their historic first NHL contest on Sept. 26 when they meet their new Pacific Division rivals, the Vancouver Canucks, in Spokane, Wash. The game is the first of three 'home' preseason games the Kraken will play across their home state, followed by stops in Everett (vs. the Edmonton Oilers, Oct. 1) and Kent (vs. the Calgary Flames, Oct. 2). The team will donate a portion of ticket revenue to One Roof Foundation with a goal of raising over $500,000 to expand youth access to hockey.

The Kraken will play their highly-anticipated first game at Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle for their regular-season home opener on Oct. 23 vs. Vancouver.

The New York Islanders, who are set to play their inaugural game at their new home, UBS Arena, for their regular-season home opener on Nov. 20 vs. Calgary, also will play a regional preseason home schedule. The Islanders will have three home contests in Bridgeport, Conn. (Webster Bank Arena), home of their AHL-affiliate Bridgeport Islanders, playing host to the New Jersey Devils (Oct. 2), Philadelphia Flyers (Oct. 5) and New York Rangers (Oct. 9).

Neutral-site preseason games also will be played in Abbotsford, B.C. (Calgary vs. Vancouver, Sept. 27); Independence, Mo. (Chicago vs. St. Louis, Oct. 2); Orlando, Fla. (Florida vs. Tampa Bay, Oct. 5) and Salt Lake City, Utah (Los Angeles vs. Vegas, Sept. 30).

More than 60% of the preseason schedule will feature an intra-division matchup. After temporarily realigning in 2020-21 because of COVID-19, the NHL returns to its previous divisional alignment for 2021-22, with the Metropolitan Division and Atlantic Division in the Eastern Conference and the Central Division and Pacific Division in the Western Conference. The Arizona Coyotes move to the Central Division while the Kraken join the Pacific Division.

2021-22 NHL PRESEASON SCHEDULE (all times Eastern)
* For all neutral-site games, designated road team listed first

SATURDAY, SEPT. 25
Montreal at Toronto, 2 p.m.
Minnesota at St. Louis, 8 p.m.

SUNDAY, SEPT. 26
Nashville at Florida (split-squad doubleheader), 2 and 6 p.m.
Boston at Washington, 5 p.m.
NY Islanders at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
Ottawa at Winnipeg, 8 p.m.
San Jose (split squad) at Anaheim, 8 p.m.
Edmonton at Calgary, 9 p.m.
Vancouver vs. Seattle, at Spokane, Wash. (Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena), 9 p.m.
San Jose (split squad) at Vegas, 10 p.m.

MONDAY, SEPT. 27
Toronto at Montreal, 7 p.m.
Columbus at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Dallas at St. Louis, 8 p.m.
Los Angeles at Arizona, 10 p.m.
Calgary vs. Vancouver, at Abbotsford, B.C. (Abbotsford Centre), 10 p.m.

TUESDAY, SEPT. 28
Boston at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
NY Islanders at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Buffalo at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Tampa Bay at Carolina, 7 p.m.
Seattle at Edmonton, 9 p.m.
Colorado at Vegas, 10 p.m.
Los Angeles at San Jose, 10 p.m.

WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 29
New Jersey at Washington, 7 p.m.
St. Louis at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Toronto at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Florida at Dallas, 8 p.m.
Edmonton at Winnipeg, 8 p.m.
Detroit at Chicago, 8:30 p.m.
Seattle at Calgary, 9 p.m.
Arizona at Anaheim, 10 p.m.

THURSDAY, SEPT. 30
Nashville at Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Philadelphia at Boston, 7:30 p.m.
Buffalo at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.
Minnesota at Colorado, 9 p.m.
Vegas vs. Los Angeles, at Salt Lake City, Utah (Vivint Arena), 10 p.m.
San Jose at Anaheim, 10 p.m.

FRIDAY, OCT. 1
Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
NY Rangers at New Jersey, 7 p.m.
Dallas at Florida, 7 p.m.
Carolina at Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Montreal at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
St. Louis at Chicago, 8:30 p.m.
Vancouver at Calgary, 9 p.m.
Los Angeles at Vegas, 10 p.m.

SATURDAY, OCT. 2
Anaheim at Arizona, 6 p.m.
Ottawa at Montreal, 7 p.m.
Washington at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Winnipeg at Edmonton, 7 p.m.
NY Rangers at Boston, 7 p.m.
Columbus at Detroit, 7 p.m.
New Jersey vs. NY Islanders, at Bridgeport, Conn. (Webster Bank Arena), 7 p.m.
Tampa Bay at Nashville, 8 p.m.
Chicago vs. St. Louis, at Independence, Mo. (Cable Dahmer Arena), 8 p.m.
Calgary vs. Seattle, at Kent, Wash. (Accesso ShowWare Center), 10 p.m.

SUNDAY, OCT. 3
Detroit at Pittsburgh, 1 p.m.
Winnipeg at Vancouver, 7 p.m.

MONDAY, OCT. 4
Boston at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Columbus at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Washington at New Jersey, 7 p.m.
Toronto at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Chicago at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.
Colorado at Minnesota, 8 p.m.
Calgary at Edmonton, 9 p.m.
Anaheim at San Jose, 10 p.m.

TUESDAY, OCT. 5
Montreal at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Buffalo at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Nashville at Carolina, 7 p.m.
Philadelphia vs. NY Islanders, at Bridgeport, Conn. (Webster Bank Arena), 7 p.m.
Florida vs. Tampa Bay, at Orlando, Fla. (Amway Center), 7 p.m.
St. Louis at Dallas, 8 p.m.
Vegas at Colorado, 9 p.m.
Seattle at Vancouver, 10 p.m.
Arizona at Los Angeles, 10:30 p.m.

WEDNESDAY, OCT. 6
Washington at Boston, 7 p.m.
New Jersey at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
Detroit at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Calgary at Winnipeg, 8 p.m.
St. Louis at Minnesota, 8 p.m.
Los Angeles at Anaheim, 10 p.m.

THURSDAY, OCT. 7
Ottawa at Montreal, 7 p.m.
NY Islanders at New Jersey, 7 p.m.
Florida at Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Pittsburgh at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.
Chicago at Minnesota, 8 p.m.
Colorado at Dallas, 8 p.m.
Vancouver at Edmonton, 9 p.m.
Arizona at Vegas, 10 p.m.

FRIDAY, OCT. 8
Philadelphia at Washington, 7 p.m.
Columbus at St. Louis, 8 p.m.
Winnipeg at Calgary, 9 p.m.

SATURDAY, OCT. 9
Detroit at Buffalo, 3 p.m.
Carolina at Nashville, 4 p.m.
Tampa Bay at Florida, 6 p.m.
Ottawa at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Pittsburgh at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Dallas at Colorado, 7 p.m.
NY Rangers vs. NY Islanders, at Bridgeport, Conn. (Webster Bank Arena), 7 p.m.
Vegas at San Jose, 8 p.m.
Minnesota at Chicago, 8:30 p.m.
Edmonton at Vancouver, 9 p.m.
Anaheim at Los Angeles, 10:30 p.m.