Good Bye, Chester, You Will Be Missed

The Rastadog vibration is positive
SunshineSue
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Good Bye, Chester, You Will Be Missed

Post by SunshineSue » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:40 pm

With my heart breaking, I’m sorry to say that our friend Chester (Bruce) has passed away. He died at home from natural causes, and was found tonight after the local sheriff department was notified that he wasn’t responding to calls or a home visit. Bruce was one of the kindest and most thoughtful people I’ve ever met. He became my big brother and partner in internet fun from the moment we first “met” on line at the Furthur Forum. He was always so much fun to hang around with at shows, whether in person or virtually, and he always knew exactly what emoticon and kind word to send when any of his friends needed it. He became much more family than friend to me, and I will always miss his presence in my life. Fare you well, Chester, my dear friend, and rest in peace, even though it feels far too soon to say good bye.

Add- This was Bruce's full eulogy, read at his memorial service 12/19/2015:

FOR BRUCE

Bruce was one of the kindest and most thoughtful people I’ve ever met. He always knew exactly the right supportive words and emoticons to send when any of his friends needed them, and he was always someone you could trust to have an ear or a hug ready at the right time.
Bruce became my friend and partner in internet fun from the moment we first met via cyberspace at the Furthur Forum, a band fan site. Bruce took me under his wing and taught me all about the social world of the internet, something that was completely new to me. He introduced me to all the live music that could be accessed online, and the wonderful people that listened to that music together. Bruce loved music of all kinds, especially the Grateful Dead and their spin-off musical groups. So it was natural that many of his friendships came from that interest in music. He was an active and much loved and respected member of several online music communities. Bruce and his friends from these groups would meet up at concerts regularly, all over the country. You always knew it was going to be a fun show if Bruce was going to be there. He was one of those people that got along with virtually everyone, and people instinctively just liked him. I feel very lucky to have been able to spend so much time listening to so much good music with him. I’ll always treasure the memories of the times spent at concerts with Bruce and our other music buddies, especially two very special concert trips, one to Red Rocks Amphitheater in Colorado and another to the beaches of Mexico. And the best part is, when you went anywhere with Bruce you didn’t have to worry about taking pictures, since he was such a superb photographer. It always amazed me at what wonderful pictures he took, whether it was of landscapes or people. He had an eye for good light and beautiful views.

As well as music, Bruce loved nature, whether it was hiking in New Hampshire or feeding the birds in his backyard. He loved all birds, especially his African gray parrot, Shelby. She was his winged companion for many years. Bruce was also involved with the Raptor Resource Project, and their sponsorship of a webcam that gives a live view of a bald eagle’s nest in Iowa. I know many of us have spent hours with Bruce watching those eagles, and seeing several years of offspring grow from a just-laid egg to a full grown eagle flying from the nest.

Bruce’s interest in music and the internet led him to create what I, with some bias, think is one of his biggest accomplishments, the creation in 2014 of a Grateful Dead fan forum called Terrapin Nation. Bruce put his heart, soul and time into making Terrapin Nation a place where a community with similar interests could feel comfortable talking, bonding and listening to music together. And he was successful in doing just that, the site has been thriving over the past year. I hope that the website and its very close community will be a lasting legacy to Bruce. I speak for all of his friends there in giving our sincerest condolences to Bruce’s family, as well as our gratitude to them for giving us so much help and time in the last few days to make sure we had the information we needed to keep the site running. I know the family’s active support for his big project, especially at such a difficult time, would have meant a great deal to Bruce as well.

It’s almost impossible for me to comprehend that Bruce is gone, as I’m sure it is for all of you too. I know Bruce loved his family and friends deeply. I like to think that he’s been feeling all the love that’s been expressed towards him over the last few days. Though to be honest, if he’s looking down on us now, while he would certainly appreciate all the caring, what he’d really be thinking about is missing out on picking apart the new Star Wars movie. To him, that’s probably the biggest tragedy in all of this!
To wrap up, please let me say that I was blessed to have Bruce as my dear friend. I loved him and will miss his presence in my life more than words can tell. Fare you well, Bruce, it feels far too soon to say good bye!

Last edited by SunshineSue on Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sneakyjack
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Re: Good Bye, Chester, You Will Be Missed

Post by sneakyjack » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:43 pm

WOW
That really is SUCKY.
So fun and a grate contact. I melded with him a bunch, so much fun. One Jrad show especially sticks out around the New Years time.

Just WOW.
Nothin left to do...
http://www.idolmakerfilms.com

RambleonRose
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by RambleonRose » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:44 pm

So heartbreaking. Bruce was such a good friend and a kind gentle loving man. Loved him dearly.

RIP Bruce. You will be deeply missed.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ive got a dream. Its about singing dancing and making people happy. Its the kind of dream that gets better the more people you share it with. I've found a whole bunch of friends who have the same dream. And, well, it kind of makes us like a family.~Kermit

bones
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by bones » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:45 pm

This is way too sad :(

Top pic is 11/6/15 at He who shall not be named show @ Cap...we had a great conversation that night

Damnit

RIP brother :(
"gleeful amphetamine drip"

9/14 TAB - Hampton Beach
9/24 Oteil & Friends - Portsmouth NH
9/29 John Barlycorn Must Live - Maynard MA
11/2 RRE - Beverly MA
11/25 Dead Set - Zach Nugent - Nashua
12/1 Allman Betts Revival - Boston

arjanstar
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by arjanstar » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:49 pm

Thank you, Sue, for your concern and your help in getting to the bottom of what was going on. I am so heartbroken that it wasn't better news.

Bruce was the first person I agreed to me on the board. We spent a few hours together on the lot of the Highland Bowl before a Furthur show. He always went out of his way to introduce me when he met other local Deadhead sisters. He has visited my home. Brought gifts to my daughter, sent me music. He was just a darling. This is unfathomable. I was just with him a month ago at Pearl Street Brewery eating french fries.
She bears it away with the love that the river has taught her.

arjanstar
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by arjanstar » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:53 pm

She bears it away with the love that the river has taught her.

Grateful Dave
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Grateful Dave » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:01 pm

So sorry to hear this news. He was such a kind soul.

RIP Bruce.

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:19 pm

Very sad :(

Rest in peace chester

DrivinThatTrain
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by DrivinThatTrain » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:27 pm

That is so sad. Never met him, but enjoyed his posts. He seemed so helpful to others.

RIP Chester.
"It takes a heap of homing to make a pigeon-toed" ~ 10/31/79~Nassau Col.

"What's the difference between a duck? One leg's both the same" ~ 10/31/79

caseyjonesed
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by caseyjonesed » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:30 pm

DrivinThatTrain wrote:That is so sad. Never met him, but enjoyed his posts. He seemed so helpful to others.

RIP Chester.
+1.
at least Chester was here to share all the warmth, happiness and love that
the 50th Anniversary has generated. Rest in Peace Brother.

vwdeadhead
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by vwdeadhead » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:38 pm

Love you Bruce! You were one of the nicest guys out there. Thank you for always supporting and believing in me. Many times you turned my night around. Sleep with the stars my friend.
"Keep an open mind, (but not so open that your brains fallout)." [Banned Loser]

WaveyDavey1
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by WaveyDavey1 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:42 pm

I can't come down, It's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
------------

One of the kindest gentlest souls I've met in a good long while. We had an awkward and humorous hug in Buffalo. Such a careful and thoughtful friend. Who we were never made a difference. He was just kind kind kind. He's free now. Been set free. Peace to B.W..
You cannot step twice into the same river.

odea
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by odea » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:01 pm

RIP.

"Life is strange, life is good, life is all that it should be."
The cosmic low end of the universe is a B-flat. -Mickey Hart

NorthBound Train
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by NorthBound Train » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:03 pm

Wow.....Could not believe the post when i saw it. Loved being on the board with him when we r doing couch tour...fun to converse with...RIP.

GDTRFB42
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by GDTRFB42 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:17 pm

Damn! I hate to hear this. I met him in San Francisco a couple years ago through a friend on the Furthur forum. Great dude and one of my favorite posters on here.

Condolences to his family and friends.
We could have us a high time, living the good life

d1smack
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by d1smack » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:24 pm

RIP Bruce. You were a kind, gentle soul and will be missed by many.
Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual.

Stay thirsty my friends !!

is Smooth as Keith Stone

bdog1963
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by bdog1963 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:26 pm

Only had the opportunity to meet and hang with him a little bit in 2012....GREAT GUY!!!
Here is a pick from that day Image
http://kimocklist.net DJA 3/21/42-3/19/11 RIP

red grenadine
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by red grenadine » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:47 pm

I never met Bruce in person but we talked a lot online for years. He was a kind-hearted man, a true humanitarian, and all around good guy. We lost a good one. I'll miss you, Chester...
(((((Bruce, Family, Friends)))))
Put your arms around me like a circle round the sun

"it doesn't even make sense to me how awesome you are" - quoted by someone nearly blinded by my awesomeness

jammin' john
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by jammin' john » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:37 am

RIP Bruce
i wont slave for beggars pay......

Heraclitus
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Heraclitus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:48 am