Confirmed, RIP John Perry Barlow

The Rastadog vibration is positive
terrapin710
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Re: Confirmed, RIP John Perry Barlow

Post by terrapin710 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:25 pm

"Love what you do and do what you love...
...imagination should be the center of your life."

Rich
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Rich » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:02 pm

Last edited by Rich on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luck occurs when opportunity meets preparation.
AND LEAVE IT ON!

GDTRFB42
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by GDTRFB42 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:06 pm

He who shall not be named had some nice things to say about Barlow after opening their show with Attics.

We could have us a high time, living the good life

JonDupee
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by JonDupee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:27 pm

Apparently he spent time in NYC in the early ‘70’s working as a cocaine dealer and carrying a gun. This is a side of JPB I was unaware of.

It is 1971. John Perry Barlow, who was born and raised in the West, in Wyoming, is living in New York City. He is dealing cocaine. He is shooting cocaine. He is armed, and almost certainly wearing his cowboy hat. The skinny kid from the ranch has joined a band, and they are playing right outside the city in Port Chester, at the Capitol Theater. No one in the band could write lyrics, at least not well, and so they had given the job to a poet the guitarist knew. At first, the arrangement worked, but then the skinny kid started coming up with songs and needed words, but he and the poet didn’t get along. The skinny kid and the poet had an argument backstage at one of the shows, and then the poet turned to the coke dealer in the cowboy hat, who’d been hanging around all week getting on everyone’s nerves, and said,

“You wrote poetry in college, right?”

John Perry Barlow said that he had.

“Great. He’s yours.”

And he was.

nigel
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by nigel » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:00 pm

(((((((((((((((John Perry Barlow))))))))))))))))

Svenger
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Svenger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Bobby was there singing and playing guitar to him as he passed, surrounded by lots of friends and family.
“You just give me the word and I’ll turn that fucking island into a parking lot.”
Secretary of State Alexander Haig to Reagan about Cuba

Svenger
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by Svenger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:03 pm

stevus wrote:i knew he was active in internet things, but almost all the headlines i'm seeing are saying "cyber libertarian" "activist" "internet pioneer". being a songwriter is a footnote
What was his opinion on the repeal of net neutrality? Or is that too political?
“You just give me the word and I’ll turn that fucking island into a parking lot.”
Secretary of State Alexander Haig to Reagan about Cuba

sparklinthereeds
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by sparklinthereeds » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:39 pm

:arrow: John Barlow and Robert Hunter are perhaps the greatest poets of the 20th century. :ratdog
You gotta show Love even when they don't
Or you become one of them.

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

sparklinthereeds
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by sparklinthereeds » Fri May 03, 2019 6:38 pm

JonDupee wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:27 pm
Apparently he spent time in NYC in the early ‘70’s working as a cocaine dealer and carrying a gun. This is a side of JPB I was unaware of.

It is 1971. John Perry Barlow, who was born and raised in the West, in Wyoming, is living in New York City. He is dealing cocaine. He is shooting cocaine. He is armed, and almost certainly wearing his cowboy hat. The skinny kid from the ranch has joined a band, and they are playing right outside the city in Port Chester, at the Capitol Theater. No one in the band could write lyrics, at least not well, and so they had given the job to a poet the guitarist knew. At first, the arrangement worked, but then the skinny kid started coming up with songs and needed words, but he and the poet didn’t get along. The skinny kid and the poet had an argument backstage at one of the shows, and then the poet turned to the coke dealer in the cowboy hat, who’d been hanging around all week getting on everyone’s nerves, and said,

“Great. He’s yours.”

And he was.
:arrow: Right on. The same book or anOther One shared a story about the skinny kid and he was kicked out of school or perhaps both were ? ...It's vague , but anywayz LIG was formed by the rancher and the hippie guitarist ... inspired in part by experiencing an incredibly treacherous Thunder / Lightning storm along the high desert mountain plains of Wyoming.

sparklinthereeds
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by sparklinthereeds » Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm

sparklinthereeds wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:38 pm
JonDupee wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:27 pm

“Great. He’s yours.”

And he was.
:arrow: Right on. The same book or anOther One shared a story about the skinny kid and he was kicked out of school or perhaps both were ? ...It's vague , but anywayz LIG was formed by the rancher and the hippie guitarist ... inspired in part by experiencing an incredibly treacherous Thunder / Lightning storm along the high desert mountain plains of Wyoming.
:arrow: If you haven't , google : " barlow war on some drugs "

richblueyes
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by richblueyes » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:05 pm

Know you're in Good Company and the Way is filled with Adventure. With Hunter keep writing the Words to fill Hearts with Song. We'll gather again.
Inspiration move me brightly / Light my heart with sense and color /
Hold away despair / More than this I will not ask / Faced with mysteries dark and vast.............