New York Rangers 2022/23

Talk Sports
hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Re: New York Rangers 2022/23

Post by hockeygame3 » Thu May 04, 2023 5:38 pm

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Patrick Kane and Vladimir Tarasenko are entering the offseason as pending unrestricted free agents for the first time in their NHL careers.

But each forward will enter that process with a different mindset in the aftermath of the New York Rangers' seven-game loss to the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference First Round.

Kane said he hopes to know within the next week or two if he will require surgery to repair a lower-body injury that he's been dealing with for the past few seasons. He said free agency will be something he thinks about after that.

Tarasenko said his focus will be finding the best situation for his family with the goal of signing with a team that has a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

"I'm turning 35 next year but it's not like I feel old," Kane said at the Rangers training center Wednesday. "I still feel pretty young and I feel like the passion is still there. I know that I can be a top player if my focus is solely on hockey instead of how I feel that day."

Kane said he does not know if surgery will impact his ability to start next season on time.

The 34-year-old right wing can become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his 16-year NHL career July 1.

"There's not a decision on that (surgery) yet, but we're going to have to find a way to get me back to as close to 100 percent as possible," Kane said. "Even me personally, I look at that series and know if I felt a little bit better I can help us win that series. It's almost disappointing and depressing in a way, but that's just how I feel about it."

The Rangers' season ended with a 4-0 loss to the Devils in Game 7 at Prudential Center on Monday. Kane had six points (one goal, five assists) in the series, but none in the final three games, when the Rangers went 1-2.

Kane had 12 points (five goals, seven assists) in 19 regular-season games with the Rangers after they acquired him from the Chicago Blackhawks in a three-team trade that also included the Arizona Coyotes on Feb. 28.

"I commend the training staff, (head trainer) Jim Ramsay and his staff just on getting me as ready as possible for the playoffs," Kane said. "I felt pretty good. Not 100 percent, but I felt pretty good. We'll figure everything out, talk to the doctors and see what the plan is going forward. The main focus is the health right now and to get that all figured out."

Tarasenko had four points (three goals, one assist) against New Jersey after scoring 21 points (eight goals, 13 assists) in 31 regular-season games with the Rangers, who acquired him from the St. Louis Blues on Feb. 9.

The 31-year-old, who just completed his 12th NHL season, spoke glowingly about his time with the Rangers and said he would consider re-signing with New York, but he's not ready to think too much about that yet.

"For me, I've never been a free agent before so just looking forward to how it is," he said. "I don't really have time to think about it now, just need a few days to calm down and figure out what to do."

The Rangers also have forward Tyler Motte, defenseman Niko Mikkola and goalie Jaroslav Halak as pending unrestricted free agents. Defenseman K'Andre Miller and forward Alexis Lafreniere are pending restricted free agents coming off their entry-level contracts.

Miller, Lafreniere and Mikkola each said they will leave the business side of their game to their agents. Halak did not speak with the media Wednesday.

Motte said he is interested in re-signing with the Rangers if the feeling is mutual. The Rangers clearly like Motte since they acquired him ahead of the NHL Trade Deadline for the second straight season, getting him from the Ottawa Senators on Feb. 19 this season.

"Absolutely," he said. "Comfortable the second time around here for sure. Love the city. Love this group. You never know who is going to be back in a locker room at the beginning of each year, but this is one that I love to be a part of and love to be in. There's a lot of the core guys that you take two runs at it with and you'd love to do it again."

Gerard Gallant said he expects to be back for his third season as the Rangers coach. He said he has not spoken yet to general manager Chris Drury, but that he was "disappointed" he even had to address his future when he met with the media Wednesday.

"I'm coming in here from what I think is two excellent years," Gallant said. "We had one bad week and it cost us."

The Rangers went 47-22-13 this season for 107 points after winning 52 games and getting 110 points last season. In Gallant's two seasons, they're fifth in the NHL in points percentage (.662) and tied for sixth in wins (99) with the Edmonton Oilers and Minnesota Wild.

New York is 13-14 in the Stanley Cup Playoffs under Gallant but had a 2-0 lead in each of its last two series -- against the Tampa Bay Lightning in the Eastern Conference Final last season and against the Devils in the first round this season -- and did not win either.

"If I can't stand by my record, what I've done, I think there's something wrong," Gallant said. "I think it's pretty good. and not just the record here, the record moving forward."

2pigpen
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by 2pigpen » Fri May 05, 2023 12:50 pm

^^^
umm I imagine we KNEW Kane was hurt and that's why it took so long to bag him
I'm not annoyed by it - it was the right move
to hit you have to swing
sometimes you swing and miss - that's ok

Terasenko should be a priority at the right price
I hope he has the wherewithal to know his true value in a league dominated by 20 somethings
He's definitely the goods and in the short sample I got to see him on an every night basis
He plays both sides of the puck far more than what I thought about him only seeing him
two or three times a year over the last decade

can't give up on the children just yet (look at Mika)
still tremendous upside for both Miller and LaFreniere - I know they need to get paid
but
you haven't won yet and nether have they full show what we think they can do
I hope they get good advice: and they have to ask themselves - is money more important
than WINNING? and; is the grass greener over there
Till They Put Me Under
It's Festival Time

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Sat May 06, 2023 4:40 pm

Gerard Gallant, Rangers Part Ways After 1st-Round NHL Playoff Loss to Devils

Gerard Gallant's tenure as head coach of the New York Rangers has ended after two seasons.

The Rangers announced a mutual parting of ways with Gallant on Saturday following the team's first-round playoff loss to the New Jersey Devils.

More to come.....

:faint :faint

2pigpen
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by 2pigpen » Sat May 06, 2023 5:41 pm

hockeygame3 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 4:40 pm
Gerard Gallant, Rangers Part Ways After 1st-Round NHL Playoff Loss to Devils

Gerard Gallant's tenure as head coach of the New York Rangers has ended after two seasons.

The Rangers announced a mutual parting of ways with Gallant on Saturday following the team's first-round playoff loss to the New Jersey Devils.

More to come.....

:faint :faint
it’s what happens
ya can’t fire the players

message sent
Till They Put Me Under
It's Festival Time

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Sun May 07, 2023 6:11 pm

Yesterday news hit about the New York Rangers firing Gerard Gallant. It was an expected move, but perhaps not as soon as early May. The Rangers firing Gerard Gallant seemed inevitable, given the news of the feud with him and Chris Drury, how the Rangers performed in this year’s playoffs, and how some of the players seemed to tune him out. Add that to his known struggles with structure and in-game adjustments, the writing was on the wall.

1. Again, the Rangers firing Gerard Gallant was inevitable. We had theorized that it wouldn’t be immediate because the coaching landscape was unknown at the time. It is still unknown, with only the usual retreads available. What appeared to change was during exit interviews, where Mollie Walker noted that the feedback from the players likely had a role in the Rangers firing Gerard Gallant earlier than expected.

This would be the second time that exit interviews played a role in a coach’s dismissal, with John Tortorella being the first. Sometimes, you need to listen to the players and alter your strategy, and this was the case here.

2. Despite the Rangers firing Gerard Gallant, the players deserve a ton of blame here too. They simply didn’t show up for the playoffs. So don’t mistake this as a purely coaching issue. There were big, big issues on the ice, but the players did not show up for Games 5 and 7 in the playoffs against the Devils. Nothing will change that.

3. As mentioned on the most recent Blue Seats Live, the Rangers lacked structure on breakouts and with zone exits. Personnel matters here, as only Adam Fox is an adept puck mover, but they were severely exploited by the Devils for their inability to get out of the defensive zone. When only one defenseman can move the puck, and the others simply chip the puck off the glass (which is a turnover, by the way), then you spend 60% of the game in your defensive zone. That’s what happened against New Jersey. Structure was lacking.

4. People will mention the Rangers lacked speed, but that’s a very open ended statement. The Rangers players themselves were fast enough to skate with the Devils. But speed isn’t just physical tools. There’s a mental aspect to the speed of the game. When players are unsure where their teammates will be and don’t have any on-ice chemistry, then their decision making slows. Anticipation is nonexistent. Muscle memory and habit are lacking. A half second to make a decision means all the difference sometimes.

This is where lack of structure killed the Rangers. They didn’t know where their teammates would be. Almost 99% of NHL players need some level of structure. The ones that don’t –Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, etc– transcend the game itself. The Rangers don’t have that.

5. Stubbornness and a disconnect with Drury also led to the Rangers firing Gerard Gallant sooner than expected. Lineup decisions are the main culprits here, as Gallant panicked in November after that one period against Detroit. The Rangers up til then were playing fine, just getting unlucky with shooting and had subpar goaltending.

The Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko line was one of the best lines in driving offensive play, as Kakko was the perfect complement to do the dirty work like we saw him do in the playoffs. Alexis Lafreniere was fine alongside Artemi Panarin and Vincent Trocheck, again driving play as a perfect complement. Those lines were never revisited despite the very obvious ice tilt in the Rangers’ favor.

To make matters worse, after the trade deadline, Gallant refused to admit to himself and to his team that Patrick Kane was a complementary player. Instead forcing the issue by inserting him on a PP1 that didn’t need a shakeup. We saw how that turned out. That’s Gallant shooting himself in the foot.

The Kid Line, which was reunited despite some pretty poor results until around March, was a crutch for Gallant. Refusal to separate the trio tanked the potential the Rangers had.

6. Now with the Rangers firing Gerard Gallant much sooner than expected, Drury has the added stress of finding a coach while also managing the cap strain and finding a way to get this team over the hump. The guys we know are available: Peter Laviolette, Bruce Boudreau, and Daryl Sutter, are all retreads and bring different positives and negatives. Joel Quenneville’s name has been floated, but he’s a PR nightmare waiting to happen, plus he’s not even reinstated to the NHL yet.

Kris Knoblauch has been mentioned given Hartford’s run. Mark Messier still lingers even if it doesn’t make sense for him to be the coach (remember how great Wayne Gretzky was as a coach?). Mike Sullivan has always been the hope for Drury, but he’s under contract in Pittsburgh. Trades for coaches don’t really happen anymore, so Drury would be hoping the new GM lets Sullivan go to start fresh.

7. Believe it or not, Drury might also be on a short leash. Most GMs get 2-3 head coaches before they are fired, and this is now Drury’s second coach, whomever it may be. He needs to hit a homerun there. This is why it seems unlikely he will bank his second, and possibly last, coaching decision on a new coach with no experience.

The Rangers need a coach that will bring structure to a team that desperately craves it. But it also needs to be a coach that can manage the players and their egos/personalities.

2pigpen
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by 2pigpen » Mon May 08, 2023 12:00 pm

my greatest issue with Gallant is/was:

this team came out flat all the time
some say he was a guy to leave it up to the leaders in the room
to get the team "up" to play....

Can I have my Torts back :?: please - pretty please
if it's only money - Philly will take it
Till They Put Me Under
It's Festival Time

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Sun May 14, 2023 10:11 am

Larry Brooks reports further changes to the Rangers coaching staff.
Assistant coaches Mike Kelly and Jim Midgley have been relieved of duties. Gord Murphy remains on staff for now, and Benoit Allaire remains in place.

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Wed May 17, 2023 5:41 pm

Peter Laviolette

Joel Quenneville

2pigpen
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by 2pigpen » Fri May 19, 2023 1:31 pm

hockeygame3 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:41 pm
Peter Laviolette

Joel Quenneville
Quenneville won't fly in NYC in my opinion
too much light and glare - he'd be asked about it at every turn
especially if they get to the playoffs and go deep

if it's only about money... buy him out of Philly
I WANT MY TORTS BACK
yes he goes thru teams fairly quickly
but he gets more out of less than anyone I've ever seen
only Kreider has a history with him I think
it could work
Till They Put Me Under
It's Festival Time

2pigpen
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by 2pigpen » Mon May 22, 2023 10:17 am

yeah

team doesn't make it out of the 1st round

FIRE THE TRAINER... yeah yeah that's the ticket

Chytil
hurt in World Championships - kid gets hurt all the time :-
Till They Put Me Under
It's Festival Time

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Mon May 22, 2023 6:52 pm

2pigpen wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 10:17 am
yeah

team doesn't make it out of the 1st round

FIRE THE TRAINER... yeah yeah that's the ticket

Chytil
hurt in World Championships - kid gets hurt all the time :-
Yea that is messed up With Jim :shrug
As far as Chytil that injury is a Hurts like a mother Better to happen now that during the regular season.

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Tue May 23, 2023 4:34 pm

The New York Rangers and New York Islanders will square off in next year’s NHL Stadium Series.

Although yet to be officially announced, they will be one of four teams involved. Per David Pagnotta, the other matchup will be the New Jersey Devils taking on the Philadelphia Flyers.

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Wed May 31, 2023 7:12 pm

The Rangers have been granted permission by the Predators to speak to John Hynes for their head coaching vacancy, The Post has learned.

After parts of four seasons in Nashville, Hynes was dismissed from his post as head coach of the Predators on Tuesday.

The Rangers, who are into the fourth week of their search for a new bench boss after parting ways with Gerard Gallant earlier this month, wasted no time in exploring Hynes as a possibility.

Hynes would be a familiar face for Rangers president and general manager Chris Drury, who was teammates with the former Devils head coach at Boston University from 1994 to 1997.

Prior to his time coaching the Predators, Hynes earned his first NHL head coaching gig across the Hudson River with the Devils ahead of the 2015-16 season.

He coached in New Jersey for parts of five seasons before he was dismissed in 2019-20.

The Predators hired him just over a month later.

The 48-year-old Hynes is another veteran option next to Peter Laviolette, who is believed to be a front-runner for the Rangers job.

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Wed May 31, 2023 7:15 pm

EDMONTON — The Edmonton Oilers traded a fifth-round pick in this year's draft to the New York Rangers for the rights to prospect Jayden Grubbe, who they later signed to a three-year entry-level contract on Wednesday.

Grubbe, 20, has 39 goals and 95 assists in 194 Western Hockey League games, serving as the Red Deer Rebels captain for the last three seasons.

The six-foot-three, 203-pound forward from Calgary also recorded four goals and 16 assists in 22 career WHL playoff games.

The Rangers selected Grubbe in the third round (65th overall) in 2021 but never reached an agreement on an entry-level deal.

The Oilers needed to sign Grubbe before Thursday, or he would have re-entered the draft.

Edmonton now owns three selections in this year's draft — one second-round pick, one sixth-round pick and one seventh-round pick.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 31, 2023.

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:48 pm

So we know Chris Drury has spoken to Peter Laviolette, Spencer Carbery, Jay Leach, Mike Babcock and either interviewed John Hynes within the past 24 hours or will do so shortly as the Rangers’ president-GM conducts this coaching search that is in its fourth week. Kris Knoblauch might have been invited in for a conversation.

But, The Post has learned on good authority, Drury has not spoken to Patrick Roy, who has coached his QMJHL champion Quebec Remparts to Sunday’s final of the Memorial Cup against either Kamloops, Peterborough or Seattle.

Perhaps Drury is waiting for the conclusion of that tournament to schedule an interview with Roy, his teammate in Colorado for four years that included the 2001 Stanley Cup championship. That would be the only logical explanation for why the Blueshirts have not yet reached out to Roy, after dog-paddling for weeks in this shallow pool of candidates.

Unless, that is, Drury believes Roy has too large of a personality and is unsure of his ability to work with the Hall of Fame goaltender in light of Roy’s clashes over personnel decisions and lines of responsibility with general manager Joe Sakic, also a one-time teammate and friend, during his three years behind the Colorado bench from 2013-16.

That was when Roy had the dual title of head coach and vice president of hockey operations. He won the Adams as coach of the year in leading the Avalanche to first place in his first season, but then missed the playoffs the following two years before resigning about a month ahead of training camp in 2016.

That did not go over well in the NHL community. But it was seven years ago. His tenure began a decade ago. The statute of limitations surely applies here. If Drury lays out the ground rules, if he makes it clear that the Rangers are seeking a coach only, I doubt Roy’s hearing would be impeded by the four championship rings in his ears.

Would this be a risk? Maybe, but why would this represent a bigger risk than Laviolette, whose last tour in Washington was a colossal disappointment? Why would this represent a bigger risk than Hynes, who has never won a playoff round after eight full years behind NHL benches in New Jersey and Nashville?

The Rangers are in need of a coach who will instill structure to the group while being able to maximize the team’s offensive creativity. Roy has brought structure to the Remparts.

The Rangers are in need of a coach who will make it his business to get the most out of their kids, and that starts with Alexis Lafreniere. Roy has been coaching teenagers for the past five years and 13 years overall in two separate stints with Quebec in which he has also been GM.

And the button-down, business-like Rangers are also in need of a coach with motivational skills and passion. They lacked a forecheck, they lacked a way to break out against the Devils, but equally as important, they lacked a pulse. They flatlined in Games 4, 5 and 7.

Mika Zibanejad is quiet. So is Adam Fox. Artemi Panarin is quiet. Chris Kreider is introspective. Jacob Trouba’s helmet toss was an exception. There is little rah-rah in the room. There is no one to emotionally take charge. That doesn’t make them bad people, bad players or bad leaders, but that is not in their nature. It was not in Gerard Gallant’s nature, either.

It is, however, in the nature of Patrick Roy.

The Rangers seem to be tilting safe, here. This is a win-now job, probably too big and pressurized for an NHL novice. This is likely to become the hire that defines Drury’s tenure in New York. Safe seems to be the play.

But no job is too big for Roy. Noted philosopher John Tortorella once observed, “Safe is death.” The Norwegian warbler Morten Harket sang, “It’s no better to be safe than sorry.”

The Memorial Cup ends Sunday. The Rangers should be interviewing Roy on Monday.

2pigpen
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by 2pigpen » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:23 pm

^^^
APPARENTLY Roy is out
Till They Put Me Under
It's Festival Time

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:03 pm

2pigpen wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:23 pm
^^^
APPARENTLY Roy is out
I think that is a mistake :-k

hockeygame3
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by hockeygame3 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:55 pm

Laviolette hired as coach of Rangers, replaces Gallant
Winningest U.S.-born coach in NHL history held same position with Capitals past 3 seasons

Peter Laviolette was hired as coach of the New York Rangers on Tuesday.

The 58-year-old replaces Gerard Gallant, who was let go by the Rangers on May 6. New York was 47-22-13 this season but lost 4-0 to the New Jersey Devils in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference First Round after it had a 2-0 lead in the best-of-7 series.

"We are thrilled that Peter will be the next head coach of the New York Rangers," general manager Chris Drury said. "With Peter's extensive experience as a head coach in the National Hockey League, as well as the success his teams have had at several levels throughout his career, we are excited about what the future holds with him leading our team."

Laviolette's coaching staff will be discussed in the days ahead, but Gord Murphy, an assistant under Gallant, will not be part of it.

Laviolette's three-year contract as coach of the Washington Capitals was to expire June 30, and he told general manager Brian MacLellan his decision to not return next season during a meeting April 14. The Capitals then announced that they and Laviolette "agreed to mutually part ways" after not qualifying for the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time since 2013-14.

Laviolette had said he'd like to coach in the NHL again but didn't leave the Capitals so he could get a head start on another job.

"I do want to coach again if somebody will have me, but I hadn't even thought about that," Laviolette said April 28. "It was more that my term was up, my contract was up, and on June 30, I would be done here."

Washington was 115-78-27 in three seasons under Laviolette, including 35-37-10 this season to finish 12 points behind the Florida Panthers for the second wild card into the playoffs from the Eastern Conference. The Capitals qualified for the playoffs eight consecutive seasons before that, including Laviolette's first two seasons, but have not won a playoff series since winning the Stanley Cup in 2018.

Laviolette is 752-503-150 with 25 ties in 21 NHL seasons as coach of the New York Islanders, Carolina Hurricanes, Philadelphia Flyers, Nashville Predators and Capitals. He won the Stanley Cup with Carolina in 2006 and is one of four coaches to reach the Cup Final with three different teams (Carolina 2006; Philadelphia 2010; Nashville 2017), along with Scotty Bowman, Dick Irvin and Mike Keenan. His 752 wins are eighth in NHL history and most among coaches born in the United States.

"I would like to welcome Peter to the New York Rangers," owner James Dolan said. "Peter's impressive resume, which includes winning a Stanley Cup and advancing to the Final with three different teams, has made him one of the most respected coaches in the League. As we move forward in our goal to consistently contend for the Stanley Cup, I am confident that Peter is the right head coach to lead our team."

The Columbus Blue Jackets are the only NHL team without a coach. The Capitals hired Spencer Carbery on May 30 and the Predators named Andrew Brunette coach the next day. Greg Cronin was hired by the Anaheim Ducks on June 5, and the Calgary Flames hired Ryan Huska on Monday.

2pigpen
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by 2pigpen » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:51 pm

:-k :-k
not my 1st choice
for a career he's 752-653 (25 ties) - I count losers points as a loss
and with the capitals (a team in theory still built to win now when he was there) he's 115-105 :shock:

His teams always forecheck - so that could be a plus
this team does thrive when keeping the puck down below the line
it's about puck retrieval - so.... ok

I still wanted my Torts back :twisted:

from what I've read - Peter's a players coach .. so was Gallant
Till They Put Me Under
It's Festival Time

2pigpen
RatDog.Org Member
RatDog.Org Member

Post by 2pigpen » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:57 am